The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The new 85, is it me or...?

Dustbak

I took a look at the sample images and find them basically as you might expect. Not like I was hoping for but maybe that was not entirely realistic.

At f1.4 I think it will perform not really well. In the sample image there is CA and no real sharpness anywhere. I found the same thing in the previous model. (edit) The MTF at f1.4 looks pretty good but I have not yet compared it to the previous version.
At f1.6 the CA diminishes and sharpness is improving.
At f2.0 the sharpness is there and CA is pretty minimal.
I did not look at the other images with smaller apertures.

All in all from theses images it appears performance is in line with the previous model with regard to sharpness & CA as far as you can determine that from such a small number of images. The big question is the OOF rendering which was simply gorgeous with the previous model.

I was kind of hoping on the f1.4 performance like in the 24 but this is not the case I am afraid.

Naturally we don't know anything about the skills of the person taking these images and whether they have been processed via NX2 which takes out CA very well of Nikon images. Unfortunately I consider NX2 totally unusable as software :(

I sold my old AF85/1.4 2 years ago in anticipation for the new AFS version. I am also interested in AF performance...

I am still pre-ordering.

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Dustbak;238837 At f1.6 the CA diminishes and sharpness is improving. At f2.0 the sharpness is there and CA is pretty minimal. [/QUOTE said:
That sounds like the AF lens.

I do not understand (Disclaimer: I understand very little of anything) why people would open their wallets to buy the new version at these asking prices.:eek:

Dustbak

No worries I don't know much either, the only reason I sold my AF version is that its AF was abysmal. I expect the AFS version to be significantly better in this area. If I would be doing MF (as in manual focus) I can also use the ZF85.

Asking prices seem high but that also depends on what you are comparing it with. They are quite cheap compared to the medium format lenses I use...

I also rather spend a lot of money on glass than on bodies.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Anyway, these samples do not look great. Given the fact how long it took Nikon to offer this new designed lens it is really a nightmare.

I would have expected a much better solution given today's possible state of the art technology and lens design possibilities :eek:

clay stewart

If it's anything like the new 35 1.8, 50 1.4 or 24 1.4, then it's probably slower to focus than the "D" version as 35 and 50 are. It seems that Nikon is trying to be like Canon with their "USM" lenses. I think Canon changing to the EOS mount from the FD, may have given them a focus speed advantage, that Nikon will never be able to match with the current F mount.

Personally, after seeing the lens size increase of the newer primes, with the built in focus motor, I would prefer the old screw drive, for the faster focusing and smaller size, since the noise doesn't seem to bother me.

V

Vivek

I think Nikon are better off going totally with E versions than struggling with the part mechanical G lenses.

MMPhoto

I am happy to see Nikon making new prime lens. Are those new lens really better in image quality?

My old Nikkor AF 50 mm 1.4 as no corner distorsion at full aperture and sharp, is it really important to have silent auto focus? Or to have image performance at high aperture?

I was a great fan of the Nikkor Macro AF 105 mm 2.8D. When compared in studio on products shots to my old modified Nikkor Micro 55 mm 3.5, the 55 mm gave me a sharper crisper image, either using my d200 or my d700.

Before trashing my Nikkor AF 85 mm 1.8D for the new Nikkor 85 mm 1.4G, I must consider if I need the extra 2/3 or 1 stop gain or the auto focus silent versus the image quality that I have.

My bottom line is, compare what you have before jumping on the new lenses.

Dustbak

:)

You are now comparing a good 105mm macro to possibly the sharpest macro that Nikon has ever made. The 55/3.5. I have had various versions of this lens and they were all great. My AI 55/3.5 was probably the best of the 3 I have (AI-S 55/3.5, AI 55/3.5 & Pre-AI 55/3.5). Hard to believe I have not paid more than 100USD for any of these lenses and 2 of them I got for under 50USD.

I just hope the new 85 is optically as good as the old AF85/1.4.

I hope the AF is faster. I am certain the hood will be more convenient. I loathe the one that came with the AF. I detest having to screw it in for taking pictures and unscrewing it for storage.

From a pictorial point of view there is a lot to loose and little to gain.

MMPhoto

As for my 55 mm it was a AI modified to AIS so the aperture metering ring would work. it was never a question of money more a question of image result.

I can agree about the lens shades, I prefer the screw on since I still like to shot with a Polarizing filter, that way I rotate the shade to polarize the effect.

If the Auto Focus was my main thing, I would use Canon system it is by far the best Auto Focus system. Just look at the Photographer shooting sports, most of them uses Canon.

Seascape

Another happy 55 3.5 Micro owner...... fabulous lens :thumbup:

I also have had multiple copies, and there is a very good reason why......has to be one of the best lenses I have ever used, regardless of manufacturer.

At this point it is the only Nikkor lens I own, and I keep an econo F801s body around just to use with it.