The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad system - need your advice

Valentin

Hi,

I posted this in the MF forum but it seems that it was the wrong place. You can click on this link if you want to see the picture:

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19942

Basically, I am looking to introduce back some film in my work. Previously I used Bronica and I am looking to get a Hassy (well, I'm still debating between this and the new Fuji :) ).

Here is the scoop:

Hasselblad 503CW Chrome Medium Format
50mm lens
150 mm lens
5 backs
Hasselblad flash
Compete Outfit EXCELLENT++

I will also try to attach an image.

Here are the questions:

1. Price: is it good deal, fair price or overpriced ($1,900)?
2. Lenses: what kind of lenses are these (chrome)?
3. What should I look for? (aside from the obvious external condition)
4. Does it work with digital backs, untethered?
5. Can you get a prism that has a build in meter (I don't want to carry a light meter with me)?

Any other advice?

Thanks,
Valentin

fotografz

See my extensive answer to the same question on your other thread in the Medium Format section.

-Marc

bensonga

I won't comment on the suitability of these older lenses for a possible digital back, but I will say that if you're interested in a camera that will serve you equally well for film and digital....it's hard to beat the 503CW. I bought one (with the 16 mp CFV-II digital back) and the 40mm CFE IF lens. It's a great setup, although of course, I wish it had a full frame square sensor.

Whether this particular camera/lens package is the best deal or not....it's hard to go wrong with a 503CW, film backs, digital back and lenses....as long as you recognize the limitations of a CFV-16 back and the likelihood that we will NEVER see a full frame square digital sensor for it. And of course....no autofocus.

Gary

Last edited:

Valentin

Whether this particular camera/lens package is the best deal or not....it's hard to go wrong with a 503CW, film backs, digital back and lenses....as long as you recognize the limitations of a CFV-16 back and the likelihood that we will NEVER see a full frame square digital sensor for it. And of course....no autofocus.

Gary
Thank you Gary. Since this will not be my main working camera, the AF is not big on my list.

OK. Maybe I should ask this the other way: what's the best system if you want to use both film and digital (MF of course)?

bensonga

Thank you Gary. Since this will not be my main working camera, the AF is not big on my list.

OK. Maybe I should ask this the other way: what's the best system if you want to use both film and digital (MF of course)?
Best system? Oh man....I don't think there is a right answer to that question. Depends on what your criteria are. Square format? Ok, that rules out the Mamiya RZ67 (an excellent camera). Square not important? That changes the calculation....see what I mean?

You need to figure out what YOUR requirements are....they could be very different from mine or anyone else's.

Gary

J

jamie123

It's way overpriced, IMO. Look for a better deal (shouldn't be hard to find).

Valentin

Best system? Oh man....I don't think there is a right answer to that question. Depends on what your criteria are. Square format? Ok, that rules out the Mamiya RZ67 (an excellent camera). Square not important? That changes the calculation....see what I mean?

You need to figure out what YOUR requirements are....they could be very different from mine or anyone else's.

Gary
Best in terms that will work with both film and digital. Initially, I would buy into the film part but I like the option to add a digital back further down the road.

I would prefer square but I'm not too hang on it.