The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Purosol to clean Contax 645 lenses ?

evgeny

Hi,
I bought two Contax 645 lenses from a photographer.
I think to clean the front and back glasses with Purosol and Nikon cloth.

Is Purosol safe for cleaning lens?
How to properly clean the glass?

Thank.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Don't know Purosol, but I use Eclipse sensor fluid to clean tough spots or oil off lenses and have had no issues. Just make sure you wet the cloth and not the lens directly.

D

DougDolde

I use the Eclipse E-Wipes for cleaning the sensor on my Aptus. They come in individua packages pre moistened for a buck each. They are recommended for any image forming surface which would include lenses.

LJL

For lenses, I use something called Residual Oil Remover (ROR). It does an incredible job of cleaning the glass, and removing any trace films from atmospheric conditions, being stuffed in bags, etc. It does not damage any of the fine and special multicoatings on lenses at all. (When the stuff was first marketed, there was a claim that it could give you up to half stop more clarity. I never believed that, but I will say that it does a fantastic job, and it also makes the glass less prone to dirt, dust and smudges, making it easier to clean.)

As mentioned by others, never apply fluids directly to the lenses. Always use a clean, soft cloth to soak up whatever fluid and apply that way. Not familiar with Purosol either, so not sure what it does.

For sensor cleaning, Eclipse still seems to be the ticket, whether in the pre-packeded wipes for MFDB as Doug mentioned, or in fluid for applying to swabs or other wiping devices. Unless you are shooting in really nasty conditions, once a camera body sensor has been cleaned with Eclipse, it generally only requires air from a bulb to blow any new dust off, or to gently brush off with something like the Visible Dust brushes.

LJ