The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

can this be fixed

kuau

Workshop Member
I just went to print a 12x18 from one of my M9 files taken with a 50mm summicron, yikes horrible CA in the corners
yuk... It looks crispy because this was the actual file I printed with print sharpening. I went back to the orginal DNG and it looks just as bad and I can't dial it out with ca removal. Is my 50 cron bad, or is this the way it is?
Oh no
The rest of the print looks amazing. ANyway to control ca when there are high contrast transistion?

Steven

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Steven, it is VERY difficult to fix something like this in post. Can be done, but it takes hours and then you have to ask yourself was it worth all that work at the end? Any chance of just going over and reshooting it?

Selective color change, and pixel level editing is NO fun!

kuau

Workshop Member
Chuck.
I guess I wanted to make sure there is nothing wrong with my 50 cron I just purchased..
I reprocessed the dng in Capture 1 using the auto ca analyze and clicked on purple fringing, looks 100 times better then anything I can get out of LR3.
As much as i really like LR3, C1 to me out of the box does a better job on M9 files.
Oh yeah reshooting it, I would have to wait 12 months, :ROTFL: fall colors are gone now in Park City

Steven

d_brown

Steven,

It only takes a minute to remove the ca with Photoshop. Use hue/saturation layer, select the offending magenta color with the eyedroper, and reduce saturation. All fixed just that quickly!

Dale

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Chuck.
I guess I wanted to make sure there is nothing wrong with my 50 cron I just purchased..
I reprocessed the dng in Capture 1 using the auto ca analyze and clicked on purple fringing, looks 100 times better then anything I can get out of LR3.
As much as i really like LR3, C1 to me out of the box does a better job on M9 files.

Steven

I agree - LR is great for cataloguing but C1 is best for RAW conversion.
Bil

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Interesting... I'm using Lightroom pretty successfully so far. I've got Aperture, and two different versions of C1 DB and Pro. Both old, and costs money to upgrade for what? Another RAW converter? Man, I get killed the way it is with upgrading Adobe and Apple every TWO versions, who's got the bucks to feed yet another upgrade demanding software franchise monster?

Terry

I was not a C1 fan until I needed to learn it for my back. I'm coming around to really liking it....and I am a diehard Lightroom user.

kuau

Workshop Member
So I can sleep tonight, is my 50 cron ok? Is this normal for this lens when dealing with this kind of backlighting against branches and trees?
I enjoy using C1, remember I won my copy on the GETDPI Norther AZ workshop last year.

Amin

So I can sleep tonight, is my 50 cron ok? Is this normal for this lens when dealing with this kind of backlighting against branches and trees?
I enjoy using C1, remember I won my copy on the GETDPI Norther AZ workshop last year.
Isn't this purple fringing, a function of the sensor/microlenses, made worse by blooming? When I look at the crop example, it doesn't look like lens CA to me. I think your Summicron is not to blame.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
I agree, the problem is the original exposure from looking at it. Shooting backlit subjects, dial it back by -1 stop as a start, and more if needed. Same with shooting on snow, -1 at least is mandatory with most camera meters if you want to preserve highlights & detail.

kuau

Workshop Member
Thanks everyone, yep probably over exposed by a stop, pilot error,
I need to stop thinking ETTR with the M9.

Steven