The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anybody else using the CV 12 mm Heliar?

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I've just been trying out this lens and am very impressed by its sharpness. It does need correction of vignetting (in C1 in my case) and there are subtle traces of magenta in the left corners. (S/be green or cyan on the right but I can't see it in any of my images so far)

I will use the Lens Cast Calibration from my P65+ to make corrections in future, though I found setting the M9 for a WATE at 15 mm is pretty effective.

Here's my first shot. Not a great work of art but does show a little of the lens' capabilities - and distortion from tilting!

Bill

weinschela

Subscriber Member
I use the CV12 also. Not an easy lens to use for me. Lots of trial and error on exoosures (too much sky = underexposure for rest of frame. Must make sure yiur arm or your feet are not included. But for the price and for the images you can make, I like it a lot. Like your shot too.

thrice

Yes I'm using it. It's not an easy lens to use, definitely one for specific applications.

I posted another shot in the fun with M thread that has an 'unbroken' boulder :)

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
I haven't used mine on the M9 yet, mainly because it hasn't been clear how well it can be corrected - but your example looks great! I'm pretty sure the remaining color shift can be handled in post, it doesn't look to be much at all. For a one-of-a-kind lens like this I think it's worth the extra work...

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Based on some quick tests it appear C1 Pro 5.2 corrects for this lens on the M9 quite well when given a reference shot to build an LCC profile from. The corners are underexposed and will pick up noise though, while the center is prone to overexpose - not surprising, given the amount of vignetting. But it's such an exceptional one-of-a-kind lens on the M9 that I think it's worth it. Just consider the dynamic range to be less. Exposing to right justify the histogram seems like a good starting point, but C1 will adjust the corners to match the center, resulting in an overall excessively bright image, so some trivial adjustments will be needed.

Uncorrected, 100% corrected, 80% corrected: