The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

BAG Hell

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
What a nightmare . Okay first off like everyone else i have a closet full and bought more. LOL I think this is the area is when grown men become shoe whores like my lovely wife. I love the girl dearly but she is a shoe whore no question about it and she freely admits it. Well I think we all can take a page from the ladies of this nature and we are bag sluts. I have more bags that i keep tossing into the back of the closet. New system new bags it just seems natural forget the fact you have 10 already they simply are for that other system you just sold. Sound familiar :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Well here we go again new system and new bags . Quiet but I bought three. Let's go over this stupid logic i have . First the list

Mamiya AFD with Back
300 and this is a issue it's big
Horseman Sd with lens
Flash and a bunch of crap

Okay bag number one Domke J1 . Well if you take out the rectangle insert and just use the dividers in a half semi circle in the middle i can get the Mamyia lens and back on one side the 300 which is almost 9 inches tall in one of the dividers the 150 in the other in the middle than the horseman standing up on the other side . Cool than put extra lenses on outside padded pockets 35 and 55. Than all the crap. Okay that is the EVERYTHING bag. Heavy bulky and shoulder surgery after 6 months.

Okay Bag number Two . Well most times i don't take everything so now I have a Kata backpack which i really like but it is a daypack called a Dr 465
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/518285-REG/Kata_KT_DR_465_DR_465_Digital_Rucksack_Black_.html

Now what I like about this bag is I can get all my lenses in the bottom with accesories except for the 300mm which will not fit down there . So now you have a lost puppy to deal with but the 300mm is not a everyday lens . Now in the top i can simple put my Mamiya , lens and back in the top where your lunch or jacket would go. Not very protected but I don't really need that much protection if it is on my back. Now i can get everything in there except the Horseman and 300mm but if I played my cards right I could carry the 300mm in the top and just hand carry the camera. Following me here because I am getting lost . LOL

Now what to do with the Horseman well i also have a little bag called the Domke F803 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/16034-REG/Domke_701_83B_F_803_Camera_Satchel_Black_.html that i took that insert from the J1 remember and stuffed that in there. so now I have a separate Horseman bag to either carry or leave in the car but I get all the Horseman stuff in there and I don't always have to have it with me on my body but have a choice to grab it or not and it is a small bag, so no big deal.

Well if have not noticed the 300mm is still in limbo with this rig with Kata and Domke F803. i have another bag that maybe I can get the Horseman and 300mm in there called the J803. Okay at this point I need a shrink to help me.

Now i have another bag coming that may change all of this a Lowepro Dry -Zone Rover that may get returned but want to see what that brings it looks like I maybe able to get the 300mm in there.

It's easier to spend over 20k for the system than buy these stupid bags:banghead::banghead:

So welcome to bag hell

etrigan63

Speaking of Bag Hell, I talked to Ed over at Naneu Pro and he is sending me a set of Lima and Sierra bags for review. When I get the review up I will send to you a link for posting Guy.

Mammy645

I've been trying to find a compact and easy to carry bag for travel, that would hold a medium format equipment + 17" laptop, to no avail. They are either too big, heavy, cumbersome, or they can't fit the gear. It's frustrating to say the least.

Guy Mancuso

I like these small daypacks the Kata 467 or what I am thinking of getting now is the Tenba Gen3 large day pack. I have the Kata 465 but no provision for the laptop the 467 does. I just throw the Mamiya back and lens in the top section not really padded but I don't need any on my back plus it is not a truck your carrying. But i may order the Tenba for travel

mark1958

I have used one of the airport addicted by thinkthank. I bought one of those foam computer cases and I can lay the computer in case on top of the camera gear. I can fit a hassy H3DII-31, 28mm,50-110zoom, 100mm, 210mm, 1.7x, extension tubes and all the accessories including filters.
I also have a lightware case that i used to carry my view camera, digital bag, lenses, and controller. I am going to sell that one because i no longer have that gear. I believe i could have easily fit a laptop in there on top like i did for the airport addicted.

I've been trying to find a compact and easy to carry bag for travel, that would hold a medium format equipment + 17" laptop, to no avail. They are either too big, heavy, cumbersome, or they can't fit the gear. It's frustrating to say the least.

David K

Workshop Member
I have the airport addicted too... in fact I liked it so much I bought a second one. Guy, you saw this in San Juan, it's a great bag and meets the carry-on requirements. Mark, this bag has a space for a 17" laptop in the rear. No need to put it on top of the camera gear.

Guy Mancuso

Yes i have a think tank antidote also but the Horseman won't fit unless i lay it down. So with a small daypack i think maybe better for me to just carry the Horseman separate in a small Domke. That way i can take it or leave it home

charlesphoto

Ha! Maybe it's the size of the gear itself! Time to switch to an M8:D

I swear by the Tenba Shootout backpacks. They come in mini, small, medium, and large. I have a medium and I've carried a Mamiya 7 w/ two lenses, a Hasselblad SWC, a Quantum flash, and a Turbo battery along with film etc. Fits nicely in overhead. I can easily fit a D3 with a half dozen lenses. They are relatively inexpensive and very well built. Fit my 15" powerbook nicely though not sure about 17" (which may be a big part of your problem).

http://www.tenba.com/c-3-backpacks.aspx

The shootout daypack is new since I bought mine. Looks cool. I find it's usually that extra sweatshirt is the hardest piece of gear to deal with. I also find their styling and colors to be more agreeable than other brands. Good stuff.

Guy Mancuso

Yea it does but I need a laptop so may go with the Gen3 large daypack . I looks like it will hold my 300mm too

charlesphoto

Yea it does but I need a laptop so may go with the Gen3 large daypack . I looks like it will hold my 300mm too
The Tenba medium and up will hold a 17." They're quite comfy as well without being overbuilt. I'm not climbing mountains, mostly just going through airports. I really can't say enough good things about this bag. And I'm not a fan of backpacks but as age has crept in they've become an inevitabilty.

Guy Mancuso

Yes Charles I just saw that . Now to decide between the two Tenba's the shootout with laptop or The Gen 3 large

mark1958

The think tank bag i have is their security roller bag. I believe when i got mine they only had one model of roller bag. Since it was released there is a newer version but not sure what the difference is. For 40 dollars you can get inserts that are two inches lower and that allows you to place a laptop on top of the camera gear. I have to admit when i travel with this bag, I usually have this roller bag and a brief case with my computer so i am fine. I put the roller bag on the top and the brief case under my seat. Since I fly often, as long as if i am on United, i usually can get an upgrade or if not, I get on the plane first so i have room to store everything. M

I have the airport addicted too... in fact I liked it so much I bought a second one. Guy, you saw this in San Juan, it's a great bag and meets the carry-on requirements. Mark, this bag has a space for a 17" laptop in the rear. No need to put it on top of the camera gear.

Last edited:

mark1958

One more point, I did not get a back pack which i can add my laptop because as of now my gear is so heavy and worried about pulling my back out.... SO i am sticking with the F.64. I can get most of my medium format gear in there.. I mean the camera, back, 4 lenses (including the large zoom), and accessories. mark

Mammy645

Maybe I should clarify, I need something I can lug around on my back or shoulder for extended periods of time when traveling, not just from the airport to the cab outside. The thinktank rollers look great but would be quite cumbersome to walk around with.

mark1958

THe think tank has shoulder belts to wear as a back pack but do not recommend. I think the airport addicted might be a better choice for you. That is the back that has a computer pocket as David pointed out. They make great products.

David K

Workshop Member
As long as we're on the subject of bags let me throw out a long shot question. Anyone have an idea about something that could be rolled in the sand. Being in Florida I shoot on the beach a lot and it would be nice to have something with inflatable type tires, like you see on wheelbarrows, for hauling my stuff along the beach. This would be more for battery packs and light stands than for bodies and lenses.

woodyspedden

I had the opportunity today to meet with Bruce Laughton, the inventor of the bags shown at www.photobackpacker.com. Really nice guy and I tell you that his system is the most innovative I have seen.

When properly adjusted all of the weight is born from the hip edges to the middle of the back. Less than 20% on the shoulders. And the lens bags et. al are extraordinarily light. I wore one around the show (Foto 3) for about 20 minutes with 25 lbs of lead in the bag. Unbelievably comfortably

Bruce is configuring the system for me and i pick mine up tomorrow. i'll let you know more results after i have used it for a while.

Woody