The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

B&W nude with P25

irakly

I am still learning this back, but it seems to be going well. 30 minutes wasted in photoshop taught me that nudes meant for B&W have to be shot at ISO250 or above.

Graham Mitchell

isn't that easier to add yourself later? Then you have complete control.

Sample (I left two blocks in the image untreated so you can compare):

irakly

isn't that easier to add yourself later? Then you have complete control.

Sample (I left two blocks in the image untreated so you can compare):
we, former hope of the communist party of the soviet union, are not looking for easy ways.
on this image it was added later since it was shot at too low of iso. if shot at iso250, i could do everything in lightroom without even converting the file.
oh, and grain on your image looks fake :p

jonoslack

HI Irakly
I hope you're well.
I think it's a lovely shot . . . .but wouldn't it have been easier using the M8?

D

ddk

HI Irakly
I hope you're well.
I think it's a lovely shot . . . .but wouldn't it have been easier using the M8?
in cased you missed it Jono.

"we, former hope of the communist party of the soviet union, are not looking for easy ways."

david

PeterA

here is a good idea for both of you - if you want the film look - shoot film - yeah thats a radical thought I know.

Graham Mitchell

here is a good idea for both of you - if you want the film look - shoot film - yeah thats a radical thought I know.
Everyone knows about the digital advantages already. If you add film grain in post, you can choose later how much you want, how large the grains, how strong the effect, the contrast, etc. It's still easier and faster than shooting film.

fotografz

Everyone knows about the digital advantages already. If you add film grain in post, you can choose later how much you want, how large the grains, how strong the effect, the contrast, etc. It's still easier and faster than shooting film.
But isn't Peter right? If indeed "we are not looking for the easy way out," then there is the real thing ... film.

Tri-X 320 Pro will deliver it in spades ... the randomness of grain, without laying that random grain over regimented pixels.

I submit that we ARE looking for the easy way out, and let's just admit it.

So, then we can work on ways to make beautiful B&W images with digital capture, and stop trying to emulate film ... because it ain't gonna happen. Once we stop that, maybe we can move on to new horizons in B&W expression.

London, Leica M6, Tri-X rated @ 320.

Last edited:

David K

Workshop Member
Marc,
That's a great photo. Makes me want to go out and shoot some film, but I know the feeling will pass if I give it some time. I do what Graham does, add a layer of grain to my images to give them a bit of structure, or whatever.