The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Do Sensors “Outresolve” Lenses? or why a move to MF

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
Fine article at Luminous Landscape which take the subjective out of the subject and gives firm data backed up by optical theory to evaluate lenses and sensors. You'll also see why there is a slow but steady movement to Digital MF by those who need the best.

Makes me hope the new Canon 5D replacement comes in at about 16megpixels and why Sony's 25megpixel may not be that impressive.

Dale Allyn

John,

It's funny that you should mention that you'd like to see the "5D II" sport a 16MP sensor. I just finished an e-mail exchange with a friend in which we lamented the current MP race that we see in the market – from P&S to DSLR. Many of us want big, juicy, noise-free pixels, not more tiny ones crammed on to the sensor. It doesn't seem that the respective marketing departments at the camera makers care much about what photographers want or need. Nothing new I suppose.