The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-420 & ZD 25mm f/2.8 size compared to other camera-lens combinations

A

asabet

Clockwise beginning from upper left - Olympus OM-2n with OM 40mm f/2, Olympus E-420 with ZD 25mm f/2.8, Ricoh GRD II, Sigma DP1:

Compared to the Canon 5D (with grip) and EF 50mm f/1.4:

A

asabet

Hi Helen! Work and family will probably keep me from doing a shootout centered around the E-420, though I haven't ruled it out altogether :D.

Regards, Amin

Brian Mosley

Nice comparisons Amin,

I think the E-420 looks beautifully moulded, the state of the art in DSLR packaging to my eye...

Thanks for sharing

Kind Regards

Brian

A

asabet

Thanks Brian. While I agree with you about the E-420 aesthetics, I wish they'd have kept the pancake lens (and all future pancake lenses) all metal in construction with mechanically linked focus and a proper distance scale. It would have been an excellent salute to the OM system. I think the popularity of the ZD 25 owes, at least in part, to that great heritage. Ah well, I still love the new lens.

Regards,
Amin

jonoslack

Amin - good comparison.
I agree about the metal lens.
For me, 4/3 is about being able to go out for a long walk with a camera slung over my shoulder, and a couple of spare lenses in a small bag, without having to worry about whether it tonks down with rain.

So I'd like an E420 which was properly weathersealed, and with more of the features of the E3 - same goes for the pancake lens - so useful weathersealed.

Olympus seem soooo close to bringing out the perfect travel kit, but just not quite . . . yet!

A

asabet

Thanks Jono. It's funny - I was recently thinking that while the M8 and most small sensor cameras are mid cycle or end of cycle (hence less to talk about), more and more is beginning happening with Four Thirds. Next thing I knew, the 4/3 forum had been assimilated. No big deal though - I'm sure Jack and Guy will recreate the 4/3 forum if the number of 4/3 threads reaches the point where that makes sense.

Have you gotten your Leica D Vario yet? Looks like the best megazoom to date from anyone in any format.