The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How to get the most out of my scanner - Epson 750

Valentin

Hi,

The title says pretty much what I'm looking for. I am using it for scanning B&W film.

I installed the Epson software and the Pro mode allows you some customization.

Here are a few questions that come to mind after little use:

1. People talk about multiple passes scanning. I didn't see the option with this software. It came with Sylverfast Ai but it seems that this version will not allow you to do that (I didn't install it since I'm not sure there are any benefits). How do you achieve that?

2. Curl - I had some difficulty with the side to side bend of the film. I kept it in a book over night and it did help but it's still not perfect. Any suggestions?

3. The scanner came with some clips and it looks like they are for height adjustments. The scanner doesn't have a manual and when you click help it only shows the help for the current window. How do you use those?

Any tips in general that will allow me to maximize the output from the scanner? Settings, setup ...

Any help is much appreciated.

Valentin

T

tokengirl

1. You can do multi-pass scanning with Silverfast AI. But I wouldn't bother. I have tried various scanning software with the V750, and I have come to the conclusion that if your B&W negatives are decently exposed, the Epson software is easier to use and works just as well. While I do think that the V750 is a good multi-purpose scanner and a good value, it has it's limits. There is no software out there that has any magical powers to make it a better scanner. It is what it is. The Silverfast software is the most cumbersome, user-unfriendly, pain-in-the-azz software ever written, and should only be used by people who enjoy activities such as pushing water uphill with a fork.

2. Curl. The best way to resolve that problem is to use films that don't curl in the first place. Rollei films and Ilford films dry nice and flat. I have heard that Efke films also dry very flat, but I have not tried them. If you must use curly films, you can buy an Anti-Newton glass insert specifically made for the V750 film holders from Better Scanning. They are expensive.

3. You can download the manual from Epson's website:
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/...e=yes&oid=66134&prodoid=63056500&infoType=Doc

Valentin

1. ...and should only be used by people who enjoy activities such as pushing water uphill with a fork.
Now, that's funny. :)

I like the way they come out, but I've heard about the multiscan to get all the info possible from the negative.

2. Curl. The best way to resolve that problem is to use films that don't curl in the first place. Rollei films and Ilford films dry nice and flat.
The 120 film was Ilford HP5 and it was fairly curved (side to side). The 35mm Ilford Delta was more flat but I thought it was that way because it's smaller (width wise).

I downloaded the manuals from there and they don't say anything about spacers the scanner came with.

Since you used/using this scanner, I have a couple of questions:

1. Do you use 24bit or 48bit?
2. Do you use 300dpi for resolution and select a bigger size print (output target) or you just keep the output as original and use a high resolution (like 2400 dpi)?
3. Do you use RGB or Grayscale?

The above is using the Epson software in Professional mode.

Thanks for your input.

T

tokengirl

Now, that's funny. :)

I like the way they come out, but I've heard about the multiscan to get all the info possible from the negative.

I tried it, it didn't give better results. And to make matters worse, it takes a REALLY long time, and sometimes the negative will move slightly during the process due to the heat from the scanner's lamp, and then the results are very soft and it looks like the film was exposed twice.

The 120 film was Ilford HP5 and it was fairly curved (side to side). The 35mm Ilford Delta was more flat but I thought it was that way because it's smaller (width wise).

Yes, 120 film is a problem due to the width. Again, the Anti-Newton glass inserts can help with this. I have the DigitaLIZA film holders, which do help quite a bit with the curl and cost much less than the ANG inserts.

I downloaded the manuals from there and they don't say anything about spacers the scanner came with.

The spacers are extras in case you lose the ones that are already in the film trays. Turn your 120 film tray over, and you will see six little tabs with arrows on them. The arrows will either be pointing at the plus signs or the circles. The plus sign is the highest setting, the circle is the middle setting, and removing them altogether is the lowest setting. Test each setting to see which gives you the sharpest scans.

Since you used/using this scanner, I have a couple of questions:

1. Do you use 24bit or 48bit? 24 bit for color, 16 bit for grayscale. The 48 bit makes it take longer and the file size is huge.
2. Do you use 300dpi for resolution and select a bigger size print (output target) or you just keep the output as original and use a high resolution (like 2400 dpi)? I keep output as original and scan at 1200 dpi, unless I want a larger file in which case I use 2400 dpi. Don't bother with anything higher than 2400 dpi, it will only increase the file size but will not increase the quality.
3. Do you use RGB or Grayscale? RGB for color film, Grayscale for B&W film.

The above is using the Epson software in Professional mode.

Thanks for your input.
Hope this helps.

Valentin

Hi Claire,

I have one more question. I was looking into the fluid mounting option. Their instructions show a clear mounting film. I cannot find this piece of glass/plastic. I the packaging was the guide and tray, but no mounting film. Is this part supposed to be included? If it was, was it together with the fluid mounting guide?

Thanks.

T

tetsrfun

Hi Claire,

I have one more question. I was looking into the fluid mounting option. Their instructions show a clear mounting film. I cannot find this piece of glass/plastic. I the packaging was the guide and tray, but no mounting film. Is this part supposed to be included? If it was, was it together with the fluid mounting guide?

Thanks.
This is the fluid mounting system that I use for both 750 and 9000ED. The catalog can be downloaded from the site. "Ultratrans" are the Mylar overlays.

http://www.scanscience.com/

Valentin

This is the fluid mounting system that I use for both 750 and 9000ED. The catalog can be downloaded from the site. "Ultratrans" are the Mylar overlays.

http://www.scanscience.com/
So you didn't get a fluid mounting system with your scanner? I got one, but I'm not sure if it's incomplete (missing the piece I mentioned) or that's the way it is (and I have to purchase that piece of glass). It doesn't make sense to me to include the guide and tray but not the top part (the glass that stays in top of the film).

T

tetsrfun

So you didn't get a fluid mounting system with your scanner? I got one, but I'm not sure if it's incomplete (missing the piece I mentioned) or that's the way it is (and I have to purchase that piece of glass). It doesn't make sense to me to include the guide and tray but not the top part (the glass that stays in top of the film).
Yes but I have never used it. Epson supplies only the wet mount holder/frame but not the Mylar sheets, scanning fluid, squeegee, etc. I didn't have my 750 manual available so I went to Epson site for wet mount info and downloaded from Support..Documents and Manuals.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&sku=B11B178061

Steve

Valentin

... Epson supplies only the wet mount holder/frame but not the Mylar sheets, scanning fluid, squeegee, etc...

Steve
OK. I re-read the manual and what I thought to be a piece of glass is clear mounting film (not sure what that is, but it's not glass).

Now, any clear film will do or do you suggest something in particular?

T

tetsrfun

OK. I re-read the manual and what I thought to be a piece of glass is clear mounting film (not sure what that is, but it's not glass).

Now, any clear film will do or do you suggest something in particular?
I am relatively new to this so not an expert. From my reading, the "ideal" is for the scanning fluid and the over-lay to have the same refractive index. I have not used the Epson wet-mount carrier.

Steve

Valentin

I am relatively new to this so not an expert. From my reading, the "ideal" is for the scanning fluid and the over-lay to have the same refractive index. I have not used the Epson wet-mount carrier.

Steve
Thanks. I'll look around and see what I can find.

T

tetsrfun

Thanks. I'll look around and see what I can find.
Scanscience lists overlays and fluid as items that can be ordered without buying a complete kit. IIRC one bottle of fluid costs about $25 and 20 Mylar overlays $16. (The overlays are reusable)

Steve

leif e

I use the V700 - very similar, same problems. The only tip I have is for curling negs - Pain in the b*** with the Epson carriers. When the film is dry - obviously before cutting it up - thread it back on a developing tank reel, emulsion side up/out. Leave it like that overnight.

I have not yet tried this with 120, but it works wonders with 135!

leif e

Valentin

I use the V700 - very similar, same problems. The only tip I have is for curling negs - Pain in the b*** with the Epson carriers. When the film is dry - obviously before cutting it up - thread it back on a developing tank reel, emulsion side up/out. Leave it like that overnight.

I have not yet tried this with 120, but it works wonders with 135!

leif e
Thanks leif. I'll try that. I did put it in a book and it did help. It seems the fluid mount is the best way.