The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mail-in 120 color film process/ scan service

Erik_A

Does anyone use an affordable mail-in company for 120 color film process/ scan service? I don't need super high res scans, but good quality.

People report good results from the service at Precision Camera in Austin- Robert (monza) posts here. They are a sponsor on the Rangefinder Forum, and offer a discount on the processing. Suggest you check them out. I'm not sure about 120, but think they do it- check their website.

Tim Gray

I've had good experiences with NCPS. I'm expecting to have good experiences with Precision Camera too, but I need to see what my first batch looks like. I expect it to get in on Monday or Tuesday; I'll let you know.

I had used NCPS for color, and was very happy with results. I tried them for a roll of HP5 b&w, and it came back with pepper grain, contacted them to say I was unhappy, never heard anything, said "adios" to them. I see others report good results with b&w, so maybe it was just a bad day, but I didn't like the lack of any response at all.

Tim Gray

Well I got my negs/scans back from Precision Camera. I'm happy with them. A bit slower turnaround than NCPS, but the scans look great and are huge. All 35mm, so presumably the 120 stuff would be just as good.

Personally, I don't like the way traditional B&W scans look on these minilab style scanners. Most the examples I've seen have grain like what you describe.