The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Inexpensive alternative to the GRD

J

John Carolan

I posted this over on DPr as well, but couldn't resist the opportunity to evangelise about my new compact camera here too ;)
Anyone looking for a low cost GRD back up or alternative to getting one might want to consider the Samsung L74 Wide, details
and I've put a small gallery of unaltered full size images online here
No RAW mode, no aperture/shutter or manual mode. Sensor is quite noisy, images are a little soft also. But it does have a program mode which allows you to adjust exposure compensation, ISO/WB/contrast/sharpness, and also an 'advanced shake reduction' mode which actually seems to work to a certain extent. It's also extremely well made, all metal, black and compact.
If you want a rough and ready camera (in terms of image quality that is, the camera's finish is rather sleek and stylish) with a 28mm equivalent lens that isn't going to break the bank, it's worth considering. And Mitch - if you read this, it will give you all the noise and graininess you could ever possibly desire :)

Last edited:
J

John Carolan

The funkycam look like fun, but I could never move to a camera that didn't have a world travel guide built in -
"The L74 Wide is equipped with a convenient Tour Guide function which provides travel information covering 2,600 regions in 30 countries- helping users to plan trips and find their way whilst traveling"
Indispensable.

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
The funkycam look like fun, but I could never move to a camera that didn't have a world travel guide built in -
"The L74 Wide is equipped with a convenient Tour Guide function which provides travel information covering 2,600 regions in 30 countries- helping users to plan trips and find their way whilst traveling"
Indispensable.
But does that travel guide have the [SIZE=-1]Michelin Red Guide ratings in it?

With out those a travel guide is just not right. :D
[/SIZE]

gromitspapa

I've been wanting to get a FunkyCam to be my digital Holga. But I can't seem to find one...
Do a search on Amazon for "Mini Digital Camera" and you'll find a bunch of them. I didn't see a clear one, but I saw a blue one from Philips.

Seems like a lot of people are having trouble with the software. I don't know if I want to mess up my computer trying to load it. Any other ideas for something like this?

http://www.camerahacker.com/Forums/...e_seen_the__Vivitar_Mini_Digital_Camera..html

I

IamJacksBrain

I used to have one of those mini digi cams and loved taking it everywhere. The pictures were generally terrible, but the thing that killed me is that it ate one AAA battery about every two weeks regardless of whether the camera was actually turned on in that two week period or not. It makes me think I should just look for a cell phone with a good camera.

J

John Carolan

No RAW

That's right Mitch, no RAW. I got out of the habit of using RAW with the GRD as it was too slow (for me) at writing the files, and it's quite liberating using jpegs. The Samsung output isn't a million miles away from the GRD as far as jpegs are concerned, but it's no match for the GRD2 RAW's (or probably the original GRD RAW's either) but for my purposes as a carry around it's pretty good so far.