The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad H3D2 hot pixel

grappa

What should I do about a hot pixel on a new H3D2 ?
Is it cause to return the camera or should I just be happy that the software removes it?
It really is annoying to see that it's there. I am aware that some cameras map hot pixels out by themselves, seems like the H3D2 could too.

J

JEM_DTG

Grappa,
Which software are you using? Phocus or FlexColor?

Is the hot pixel visible in RAW processor (Phocus or FlexColor) when you zoom into the file (100% +)? Does this hot pixel show up in your processed TIFF files when exported from Phocus or FlexColor?

If you are using Phocus, there can be some strange preview artifacts if you have a less than robust graphics card. And in some cases, these artifacts can appear temporarily as, random-colored "hot pixels" in your main image view. These artifacts usually go away when zoomed in to 100% or more.

Obviously the condition I described above is not a defect in the camera, but possibly a deficiency in the software / mac / video card combination.

Please reply back with more info so I can help troubleshoot further.

Regards,

Jordan Miller
DTG

fotografz

What Jordan said.

I sometimes have the same thing when using Phocus. Not a real issue. Most all digital cameras have hot pixels. They are mapped when calibrated and most, if not all, disappear when opened with the software. Phocus needs a powerful Graphics card or wierd stuff can show up.

If dead pixels show up in the processed Tiff file (not a jpeg, a tiff), then that's a different matter.

grappa

The hot pixel appears when opened or processed by the Mac Viewer or in Aperture or Raw developer. The Hasselblad software seems to remove it.
Initially it shows as a green block but turns into a white dot after processing.
I just upgraded from an Nvidia 7300 to an Nvidia 8800 card. Developing is faster but the dot still appears. I like using Aperture because of the work flow.
Lightroom would be even better but it does not convert the raw files unless I take the extra step of turning them into dng files first.
I sure hope Adobe plans on supporting these files. Soon.

Sure I can make it go away but the question is whether it is to be expected.Sorta seems to me like sweeping dirt under the carpet.

BTW. It appears at all ISO ranges.

s.agar

I wouldn't like to have a hotpixel in my new camera,right out of the box. Especially when you are paying so much.

I think you should give Hasselblad the chance of remapping it, by changing the camera, so that they should do better in their QA/QC before any camera leaves their factory.

BTW, I ordered the same camera a few days ago. I will make sure that I take a few photos before making the payment.

Seyhun

J

JEM_DTG

Grappa,
If the hot pixel appears in images after they have been processed, that should rule out a graphics card, preview issue.

Is the hot pixel visible when the file is open in Phocus? Or does the hot pixel only go away after the file has been processed out of Phocus?

What exact version of OS X 10.5 are you using?

Have you contacted your dealer to discuss possible support involvement by Hasselblad? Any qualified Hasselblad dealer (myself included) can take this support process a bit further, depending on whether this is isolated to a defect in the camera, or issues with various software applications, like Aperture, iPhoto, etc. which rely on the OS for native file support.

I will look forward to the additional info.

Regards,

Jordan Miller
DTG

The hot pixel appears when opened or processed by the Mac Viewer or in Aperture or Raw developer. The Hasselblad software seems to remove it.
Initially it shows as a green block but turns into a white dot after processing.
I just upgraded from an Nvidia 7300 to an Nvidia 8800 card. Developing is faster but the dot still appears. I like using Aperture because of the work flow.
Lightroom would be even better but it does not convert the raw files unless I take the extra step of turning them into dng files first.
I sure hope Adobe plans on supporting these files. Soon.

Sure I can make it go away but the question is whether it is to be expected.Sorta seems to me like sweeping dirt under the carpet.

BTW. It appears at all ISO ranges.

grappa

The hot pixel goes away in Phocus and does not show up in any exports. The hot pixel stays in Camera Raw both before and after processing. The hot pixel shows up in Aperture but goes away during enlarging on screen and after processing.
I guess I am going to ignore it for now. Might be a non-issue except my ZD shows no
such characteristics and neither did my Kodak 645 back so I was alarmed.
I am using Leopard 10.5.3

J

JEM_DTG

From the above description, it would appear to be a graphics card / previewing issue. I have seen similar issues when running Phocus, and in certain instances Aperture, as these applications lean heavily on your graphics card and processor for generating the previews.

Is the pixel in the same location in every file?

Regards,

Jordan MillerDTG

grappa

Ok,but it's always in the same place and on two different video cards so I doubt we can blame the software/computer.

J

JEM_DTG

Grappa,
It is not surprising that Phocus (or FlexColor) is able to process this artifact out, considering the specialized nature of the RAW processing engine, along with Hasselblad's DAC capabilities.

If the pixel is visible in the same location, on every file, that would certainly indicate there is some artifact being generated by the camera, at capture, prior to RAW processing.

With this additional information, my best suggestion will be to contact the dealer from which you purchased the camera, and discuss the necessary support options from here.

Without knowing where you are, I can only speak for Hasselblad USA's support policies. In this instance, there some dealer-level process' that can be implemented to attempt to correct this "hot pixel". In addition, the first 90-days of your USA warranty (if applicable) is considered a "Hot Swap" period, where Hasselblad will send you a loaner camera, if yours must be sent in for additional service. In my estimation, this would not be necessary, however you should be in contact with your dealer, so they can begin to rectify the situation.

Feel free to contact me if I can be of any additional assistance.

Regards,

Jordan E. Miller
Digital Technology Group, Inc.
(813) 889-0660 office
(800) 681-0024 toll free
(813) 888-9680 fax
(813) 507-9173 mobile
[email protected]
www.DTGweb.com

fotografz

Ok,but it's always in the same place and on two different video cards so I doubt we can blame the software/computer.
Actually, it probably is the software.

Place a lens cap on the lens. Shoot a 15 second exposure. Use ISO 400 and ISO 50. Open in Phocus. There will be what appears to be hot pixels. The initial preview is untouched by the calibration ... in most cases they will disappear once the full rendering is done.

If they don't disappear, reload the same CF card but this time use Flexcolor.

My back shows a lot of "hot pixels" at a 15 second exposure with Phocus. Most of it disappears when the full rendering is done. But not all of it.

Reload the same CF card in Flexcolor and they can be seen in the thumbnails, open the same file in the adjustment window and it's all gone.

Same file. The only difference was the software.

None of it shows up in the Tiffs or DNGs.

Phocus still needs work. I called my dealer, and he called Hasselblad tech. They are now aware of this if they weren't before, and hopefully will smooth out the calibration soon.

woodyspedden

Great stuff Marc

The manufacturers really need this kind of feedback. If they already know about it, so what!! It will be corrected in the next generation of software. If they don't then they will now correct things because an experienced photographer pointed out the faults of their current software. GREAT!!!

So no one should just assume that their experiences are unique! They may well be a discovery of inherent faults in the current software and by exposing this to (in this case Hasselblad) the manufacturer there is a very good chance that the faults are corrected for all time

Again, Great stuff Marc

Woody

fotografz

Great stuff Marc

The manufacturers really need this kind of feedback. If they already know about it, so what!! It will be corrected in the next generation of software. If they don't then they will now correct things because an experienced photographer pointed out the faults of their current software. GREAT!!!

So no one should just assume that their experiences are unique! They may well be a discovery of inherent faults in the current software and by exposing this to (in this case Hasselblad) the manufacturer there is a very good chance that the faults are corrected for all time

Again, Great stuff Marc

Woody
This is not unique to Hasselblad Woody. It's actually a relatively small issue since processed images show little or no signs of it at all ... at least in my case with CFV-II.

Consider the Leaf issue of not to long ago: under certain circumstances, Aptus backs experienced an issue called "Center-Folding" where one half of the image was different than the other half. Talk about freaking out! It was brought to their attention, they acknowledged it, and busted a hump to correct the software/firmware ... which fixed it.