The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Newly released camera model: safe to buy or best to wait?

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
Received wisdom amongst savvy Macintosh users -- which I've always followed -- is never to buy the first iteration of any Apple hardware product. In other words, it's much smarter to wait until any kinks have been eliminated from the production line (and to allow other users to do the final testing on your behalf). During my years as a professional photographer I also followed the same practice, putting off buying a new camera model until three to six months after its initial release.

By placing an order with my Nikon dealer for a new D700, I'm ignoring a practice that has served me well over many years. So I'm interested in hearing from other forum members (not just Nikon users) about whether or they not they believe it's prudent to wait a few months after a camera's initial release before plonking down one's cash.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
The lessons learned with Macs are well founded in experience. Nikon however, has been pretty solid for the past few iterations of their camera product line and I would have no qualms buying one right out of the gate. Congrats on your purchase!

D

dlew308

I'd say jump in on this one. The D3 has been out awhile as has the D300 without any major hiccups. Just as I went from the D100 to the D200 and recently the D300, I have no regrets in any of those decisions....well maybe the D300 with the D700 coming out, but I got to use my D300 in Tahiti, so that was way worth it.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I have never had a Nikon early camera problem that wasn't fixed with a firmware update.
Ah, just don't bounce the things off of rocks from chest high:lecture:
-bob

harmsr

Workshop Member
I would not worry about the D700. Most all of the design is either taken from the D300 or the D3, both of which are working well.

Ray

Terry

Yeah, but on this one if the timing works out right I'm going to be the owner of Guy's test camera (or for the Brits his Beefeater).:eek:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Fingers crossed we will have one in NY when I am there. Terry and I can put it through it's paces. Problem is she get's to keep it. LOL

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Guy,
Don't even think of bailing at the speed you travel. You would be shredded.
-bob

jonoslack

Received wisdom amongst savvy Macintosh users -- which I've always followed -- is never to buy the first iteration of any Apple hardware product. In other words, it's much smarter to wait until any kinks have been eliminated from the production line (and to allow other users to do the final testing on your behalf). During my years as a professional photographer I also followed the same practice, putting off buying a new camera model until three to six months after its initial release.

By placing an order with my Nikon dealer for a new D700, I'm ignoring a practice that has served me well over many years. So I'm interested in hearing from other forum members (not just Nikon users) about whether or they not they believe it's prudent to wait a few months after a camera's initial release before plonking down one's cash.
It's interesting that on the day of the announcement of the D700, there is a firmware update to the D3 which adds all the new bells and whistles.

This isn't really a new camera, it's a D3 in a small box with a few limitations; I'd be really surprised if there were any nasties involved (I've ordered one anyway!).

As for Apple - maybe they've changed their spots too - I got my iphone on the first day, and also the macbook air on which I'm writing this post, and (touch wood) neither has caused any grief.

I think the internet has had a real and positive part to play in the release of new products . . . it really doesn't pay to release a lemon . . . wasn't there some new operating system released last year . . . what WAS it called . . . I Know . . . VISTA . . (does anyone know what happened to it?)

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
Thanks everyone for your various insights. That recent Nikon models have been solid, that the D700 is an amalgam of the reliable D3 and D300, and that any early problems with Nikon DSLRs have been resolved via firmware updates -- all this evidence suggests that the D700 is probably a safe purchase. Now I just have to decide whether I'd be better off allocating the D700 money towards a 22 megapixel MFDB system. (I blame Guy for the fact that I'm even thinking about this!)

DavidL

The main thing to gain from waiting is you'll pay less. Prices seem to drop considerably within a few months, sometimes weeks, of the launch.
I'm going to wait for a while to see what the price settles at. Also there seems to be an updated 24-120 with VR2. Maybe nano coating and improved performance. So maybe, in my case, another reason to wait instead of just getting the D700 with 24-70. The D300's are still earning me money. David

Terry

The main thing to gain from waiting is you'll pay less. Prices seem to drop considerably within a few months, sometimes weeks, of the launch.
Wasn't the launch price of the D300 $1799? I think it just came down in price over the last couple of weeks to $1649 That took a good 7-8 months for $150

jonoslack

I'm going to wait for a while to see what the price settles at. Also there seems to be an updated 24-120 with VR2. Maybe nano coating and improved performance. So maybe, in my case, another reason to wait instead of just getting the D700 with 24-70. The D300's are still earning me money. David
What David is really thinking is . . .

"Thinks . . . if I wait until the D700 is released, then jono slack will sell me his D3 on the cheap"

Incidentally David - where did you get the news about an updated 24-120 with VR2? I've not seen that one (but I want one, especially if it's a little better at the corners than it's predecessor.)