The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Favorite Sigma Lens

PSon

As I am looking to try out a few more Sigma lens on the SD14, I would like to know which of the Sigma lens are among your favorite and why?

K

kevin m

Hi Son
Like to hear your verdict on the Sigma 24-60 f/2.8. Bought this lens recently as a travelling/ walkaround lens instead of lugging an arsenal of primes (Zeiss, Canon and Sigma). Initial impessions are that sensor cleaning is going to be drastically reduced because the 24-60 is going to be in place most of the time.

Kevin

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
70-300 Macro. Because I loved how the macro looks at 300; even if it is slow as molasses. At least it's light as a feather.

However, now that I've got the 70-200/4IS, I'm likely going to part with this lens in the next few months.

LJL

The 120-300 f2.8. While this is a rather large and heavy lens, I have used it extensively for my sports/action shooting on my Canon 1-series cameras. It is essentially a very good 300/2.8, but you get the added bonus of the shorter focal lengths in the zoom. It is easier to handle than the Canon 300/2.8L, and stopped down to f3.5 or so, it is every bit as sharp, from what I have seen.

Also have the 150 f2.8 macro, and find that to be an absolutely outstanding lens also. While the AF is not quite as snappy as some others, it is very accurate. The sharpness of that lens, even wide open is impressive, and the 150mm focal length is a nice compromise for macro work with flowers and bugs.

My 12-24 f4.5-5.6, or whatever that one is, does an excellent job for most of my superwide needs on the Canon 1-series. I got lucky and have a good copy. It does not really come into really good image quality until f8 or so, but wide open it will do a decent job for most DSLR work. It is amazingly rectilinear, and with careful compositions, one can get some very nice images. It remains in my bag the most of all lenses, as when I want wide and sharp, I grab the M8 ;-)

LJ