The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One Pro v6.2 for Fuji100

dhsimmonds

The latest update to C1 v 6.2 now includes profiles for Fuji X100 plus quite a few other software improvements.

All I need now is my X100. First shipments to UK appear to be sold out!:cry:

dhsimmonds

Hello Peter

I can think of some shoots where it would be very useful indeed! In particular I like the optical viewfinder as I cannot use a NEX 5 or similar as I find that viewing the rear LCD on this or like cameras is at completely the wrong distance for my own eyesight, it falls between reading glasses and no glasses! ;)

The fixed lens is also a good discipline after years of DSLR and zoom lenses:rolleyes: I have tried disciplining myself to use the 35mm lens.....you have to get damned close sometimes!

The image quality looks superb, and it seems a useful tool for some uses when travelling.

OK then, convince me otherwise.........please!!:deadhorse:

nugat

Letter from Gordon to Luminous Landscape Reichman:
Thank you for your review of the fuji x100. I've had mine a week now, and agree with all your comments, both positive and negative.

I have made my living as a photographer since 1971. I've never pre-ordered a camera before this and was very excited to get it.

I am having a love/hate relationship with this thing. More hate than love at the moment.

This camera has such promise, but is full of glitches and stupidisms which are spoiling my pleasure in using it.

I'll try to be brief, but if you have any influence with fuji at all, I'd love to make them aware of my issues.

1: My latest issue is the camera locking up. The little light that blinks as it is ever so slowly writing to the card stays lit and the camera will do nothing unil in frustration I just take the battery out and put it back in to "reboot" the thing. Arggghh.

2: Manual focus. The ring, and viewfinder, as you mention, are useless. I too love using the ael afl button to focus, and this works pretty well. Problem is. If you pre-focus, then pick the camera up to take a quick shot, it may or may not actually respond, or may take a second to pull itself together before the shutter releases. I've already lost a bunch of shots this way.

3: In manual focus, I cannot get rid of that huge distracting distance scale which obscures the bottom frame line at close distances, even if I uncheck the box in the menus that is supposed to hide it. Fuji has decided I don't really mean it when I say I dont want to see the thing.

4: Battery life. Not very long, and when the battery warning comes on, it is too late, you get a couple of shots before it shuts down.

5: I never shut my dslrs off. I just let them go to sleep. That way, like a computer in sleep mode, it comes awake with the touch of a button. I can carry around my dslrs, and instantly bring the camera up to my eye and take a shot whenever I want. Not so with the fuji. Even in quick start mode, it may wake up, or it may not. I have not figured out ryme or reason, perhaps it times out. If it DOES start up when I hit the shutter button, I must press it again to actually take the picture. It it doesn't start up when I press the shutter button, I have to turn the off/on switch off, then on for the camera to yawn and wake up. Sometimes I have to do it twice. By then my shot is gone. This has happened to me countless times this past week. I'm going nuts. For a camera aimed a street shooters, this is crazy making.

6: For God's sake, why would I want to be using an optical viewfinder, or the efv for that matter, and have it display a preview in the viewfinder? It is horrible. I can't think of a feature I'd rather have less. It is like photographic coitus interuptus. SHOW ME THE PREVIEW ON THE BACK OF THE CAMERA, LIKE A DSLR DOES, or at least give me the option. I've turned the thing off, but it means I have to wait for the camera to slowly write to the card, then press playback and wait again for it to slowly display the preview. Then if I want to look at the histogram, I have to cycle through view modes. I also have not discovered if I can turn on a highlight alert.

7: Focus spot parallax. At close distances, the actual focus spot is up and to the left of where it seems to be. In some situations, this results in focusing behind the intended area.

8: Everything is sluuugggiiiish.

I'm trying hard to love this camera, but am pretty pissed off with it at the moment. It is fine for deliberate stuff, but for spontaneous shooting it sucks.
UNQUOTE

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Hello Peter

I can think of some shoots where it would be very useful indeed! In particular I like the optical viewfinder as I cannot use a NEX 5 or similar as I find that viewing the rear LCD on this or like cameras is at completely the wrong distance for my own eyesight, it falls between reading glasses and no glasses! ;)

The fixed lens is also a good discipline after years of DSLR and zoom lenses:rolleyes: I have tried disciplining myself to use the 35mm lens.....you have to get damned close sometimes!

The image quality looks superb, and it seems a useful tool for some uses when travelling.

OK then, convince me otherwise.........please!!:deadhorse:
Unfortunately I have the same issue meanwhile with my eyesight, so I need glasses to focus via the rear LCD - so anything which helps me come over without glasses is welcome. This way the X100 really wins!

Not sure though about the rest of it's features / performance if I read the reviews. But maybe it needs just some time to mature with future FW releases.

I am pretty sure that a future X200 would just be PERFECT :cool: