The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Effectiveness of Image Stabilization (IS) of Olympus E-3

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
I have been looking at the Olympus E-3 and E-520 very seriously. I got a chance to use them bodies last weekend. I really like them but have not decided which one to get.

I have a question regarding the in-body Image Stabilization (IS) system. How effective is it? Is the IS system in E-520 the same as that of E-3?

For references, I have Nikon 70-200/2.8 VR and Panasonic/Leica 14-50/2,8-3,5 IS lenses. I am very happy with in-lens IS/VR performance.

Thanks very much.

Kind regards,

Brian Mosley

Hi Ocean, the in-body stabilisation is the same for the E-520 and E-3... and is slightly better than the Panasonic/Leica 14-50 - so if you're very happy with in-lens IS, you'll be even happier with the Olympus in-body stabilisation.

Kind Regards

Brian

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
Brian,

Thanks very much! I think that I may go with E-520 since it has the same IS system as in E-3. The E-520 is certainly lighter and more compact in size compared with the E-3. While the viewfinder in E-3 is bigger and brighter, I can live with the smallish viewfinder in E-520. I will be using the body mainly with 7-14/4,0, 25/1,4, and 50/2,0. I think the in-body IS should help for in door low light situations with either 25/1,4 and 50/2,0.

Here is an article by Erwin Puts on IS/VR system comparisons, http://www.imx.nl/photo/technique/technique/page40.html
It is interesting that he mentioned that E-3 may lack of focus accuracy despite the fact that it has the fastest focusing speed. Any comments or related experience? Thanks,

Kind regards,

A

alfred_uy

Hi Ocean,
Most print and web reviews conclude that in general, the latest in lens stabilization from mid to high end Canon and Nikon lenses are about one half to a stop better than in body stabilization.
However the advantage of in body stabilization allows this technology to be used on all lenses-even old manual focus ones. A favorable trade off in my view.
Regards,
Alfred

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
Brian,

Ewrin Puts' article is very interesting. I am just wondering about his comments of E-3 lacks focus accuracy.

Alfred,

Thanks for your comments. I agree with you about the advantages of in-body IS system. I want to use the Panasonic/Leica 25/1,4 lens in available light situation where shuttle speeds ranging from 1/8 - 1/30 and ISO from 200 to 800. I really hope Olympus will soon come out new sensors with better high ISO performances. Having said that, the PanaLeica 25/1,4 shooting below ISO 400 yields beautiful results across all f stops. With the in-body IS system, shuttle speeds can be lowered 1 to 2 steps further.

Kind regards,

Brian Mosley

Hi Ocean,

in my experience, the 50-200mm SWD focuses perfectly accurately, especially on the E-3. However, I've had a while to learn how to use it.

Kind Regards

Brian

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
Hi Brian,

Thank you. The 50-200mm SWD is such an attractive lens for its range as well as its focusing speed from my very limited experience. It's good to hear from you that it focused dead-on. (Actually, your photos in the motorcycle racing series spoke for themselves.) I will like to have this lens in my camera bag shortly.

Kind regards,

A

alfred_uy

Hi Ocean,
Irwin Puts' article is an interesting read. However, I feel Mr. Puts' should mention the following points for the benefit of other readers.
1. It's no surprise that the Leica fared quite well at faster speed even without any stabilization system. As a rangefinder, it does not have a rapid return mirror that introduce internal vibrations. It also uses a horizontal traveling shutter.
2. Ergonomics is highly personal. A lot of people ( me included) like adding a vertical grip for additional heft and support when hand holding. The D3 has a "full" grip while it is an option on the E3. This probably account for the more comfortable feel on the D3. Otherwise, the difference in handling between the two is not night and day.
3. Every lens or body for that matter, has different image stabilization performance. Using another lens or body might tell a different story.
Regarding AF accuracy, isn't it the more the DOF, the more is the tolerance for minor focus errors?
Regards,
Alfred

Last edited: