The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Autofocus Help Needed

Kphelan

This just in from the Silly Question Dept.....

I am trying to use my X100 with rear AF only. This is my standard working m.o. with dslrs. I would like the AFL-AEL button to be an AF activate switch, ie. I see a subject, place the AF rectangle on my focus point, hit the button, and focus is locked at that distance until I hit the button again. I am using the optical VF exclusively, btw.

I went through the manual and have the following settings:

AE/AF-LOCK MODE = ON/OFF SWITCH
AE/AF-LOCK BUTTON = AF LOCK ONLY

Here's my question: When is focus actually locked? My understanding is, when I first press the button, the AF rectangle turns green, focus is locked. I then shoot the picture.

Evidently this is incorrect. I went out yesterday and shot approx 75 images this way. Sunny day, ISO 200, f8, aperture preferred. Many of the shots are out of focus. So I ran a test. Apparently if I press the AFL-AEL button, so that the AF rectangle turns green, and then take a picture focus is way off. If I do the same so that the rectangle turns green and then press it again so that the rectangle turns white - focus is spot on.

Am I the last person in the world to this party? I've read the manual and cannot find any reference to visual cues when focus is locked. Am I correct that my procedure requires a double press of the AEL-AFL button?

---Kent

OlliL

Did you activate manual focus, before using the AEL-button to focus?
Might be a dumb question and if so, I'm sorry for that.

Anyway, when you set the camera to MF, a simple click on AEL sets the focus on the subject in the rectangle.

Kphelan

No, I am using AF-S. I prefer the cleaner finder window. Tho I will try MF and the rear button as well. Thanks OllieL.

OlliL

Just tried it on mine.
When in AF-S I need to pre-focus via the shutter button, then keep the AEL-AFL pushed to lock focus and metering. I can then let go the shutter button and recompose.

In MF AEL-AFL only sets the focus (and locks it, even when you depress it).