The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

75mm and 90mm lens for 4x5

Patrick Collard

I am ready to purchase a 75mm and a 90mm lens for 4x5 B&W work. After doing much research it appears that the Nikon 75mm f4.5 and 90mm f4.5 or the Rodenstock/Caltar Grandagon 75mm f4.5 and 90mm f4.5 would be a good choice. I'd like to hear experiences from anyone who has used either of the these lenses. Is this a good choice or should I be looking at some other options? These will be used with a Canham 4x5 metal camera.

Thanks,
Patrick

thrice

I use the Nikkor, but I have no reference to compare it to except a rodenstock 210/5.6 which is equivalent in build quality. I'm very new to large format.

It is bright and sharp on the groundglass, I only hope the transparencies when I get around to developing them look half as good as the image rendered on the groundglass.

BenH

I have and use the Nikon 90mm SW 4.5 and could not be happier with the results I get with it. It is a very sharp lens. I don't think you would be disappointed with the 75mm or 90mm Grandagon N either. Both are fine lenses as is the Nikon.

Jeremy

I really like the 75mm Nikkor - lots of coverage in a very compact lens. Patrick, I'm getting out of shooting 4x5 outside of portraits so I do have a 75mm Nikkor I am about to list for sale if you're interested.

thrice

Cross posted but here are more examples from the 75mm Nikkor:

Sorry the last image is smaller!