The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikkor 14-24 2.8... .for Canon

JimCollum

One of the shortcomings for the Canon line has been the wide angle lenses. From the looks of it, Nikon has raised the bar an order of magnitude in quality.. full frame.. corner to corner.

Mark Welsh has built an Nikon G to EOS adapter and tested the 14-24 on a 5D.. I haven't seen samples of any other lens that comes close

http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests/nikon_14_24mm_1/nikon14_24mm_a.html

there's going to be a shootout this coming weekend with a D3, 1dsmk3 and a few other wide lenses. the results should be interesting

(i suspect there will be a run on this lens.. with most of them going to Canon owners :)

jim

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Lloyd Chambers tested this lens and achieved similar results. Impressive to be sure. Canon needs to buy one and duplicate it since they can't seem to get it right on their own...

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
Bye-Bye 16-35
Eh, it was a mark I and highly useful to me when I was overseas shooting w/ a crop body. It served it's purpose and served it well. But since then, I've been rather disappointed with it when compared to the other lenses I have.
It's was my first L, and I'll miss it very much for a long time... or until the 14-24 arrives.

AGeoJO

Lloyd Chambers tested this lens and achieved similar results. Impressive to be sure. Canon needs to buy one and duplicate it since they can't seem to get it right on their own...
How did he get it to work on Canon? Or did he just use a Nikon D3 for that..... (duh!)?

I have that lens in my little hot hands but no adapter yet :(. That's the drawback of using an alternative lens.... :(. I will have to return that lens in three weeks if there is no definite time on when the adapter from Mark Welsh will be available.

AGeoJO

Hi Guy,
At this point, I would like to use that lens on a FF body and I am not considering getting a crop Nikon body at that :D. Getting the D3 is out of the question for me at this point, I am not switching to Nikon just because of that lens. People claim the new Canon 14mm II is awesome as well but it is not a zoom so not as flexible. I think I better return the lens, stay put for the time being and wait until the dust has settled in the UWA focal length range.

JimCollum

Mark has started taking orders for the adapters

http://www.16-9.net/nikon_g/

(i have mine on order...)

i also added some test shots of the lens using a 1dsmk3

full size images can be found at:

14mm

18mm

24mm

these were shot at about f8 ( have improvised using a normal nikon -eos adapter)

Mark also did some additional testing against a Contax 21mm 2.8. So far, that's the only lens (prime or zoom), that's been found to be better

marks 21mm test

jim

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I had the Zeiss 21mm and it is a wonderful lens , my famous cockpit in the gallery is from it BUT the Leica 19mm is no slouch and sold the 21 for the 19mm and did not miss a beat.

JimCollum

There is no chance this just happened to be an exceptional copy of the lens?
well.. there have been numerous reports of the same type of performance.. and i haven't seen anything out there that shows a bad copy yet.

his samples, and mine show similar results

W

workingcamera

From what I’ve seen on the net and heard from colleagues who own the two new Nikkor G f2.8 zooms, they are the bees knees and make for very exciting toys.

But I think one has to a little careful with direct comparison with high-end primes.

No getting away from the fact all zooms will show at least some degree of distortion at either end of the FL range. So no zoom can trump a well designed and made prime in this respect.

The G Nikkors are of course also AF… no news that AF systems must be built with a degree of slack so that the focussing group can move freely. And this weak point is likely to wear overtime introducing more variability.

A manual focus prime lens designed and built to tight tolerances is a more stable optical platform, with less room for optical decentring.

Just some generalised musing.

mark1958

I have to admit that i went through the comparisons and downloaded Jim's images as well and quite impressive.... While the 21mm distagon was still better, the difference was surprising not as great as i would have guessed especially at f5 and above. The tradeoff for the zoom in my mind is clearly a huge advantage.

well.. there have been numerous reports of the same type of performance.. and i haven't seen anything out there that shows a bad copy yet.

his samples, and mine show similar results

dfarkas

Workshop Member
There is no chance this just happened to be an exceptional copy of the lens?
FWIW, the whole good copy/bad copy discussion that comes up a lot on Canon lens forums seems to be a rarity with high-end Nikon lenses. Personally, I've seen a lot a variability with L lenses, but none with Nikkors. And of course, none with Leica R lenses. M lens focusing alignment is another discussion. :)

Just casual observation, not a scientific study on my part.

David

W

workingcamera

As an aside a colleague of mine who uses Nikon gear in the main and is bit of a geek (understatement) … and had access to an optical collimator…

Now he says "Nikkor glass was sh-t out of the box … but after he aligned the optics properly they were very good.”

I’ve also seen a noticeable variability in Canon glass going back to FD production. Its one of the reasons I ditch Canon back then, after 3 dud FDn 50 1.2L lenses it gets a little tying.

I think from memory (I might be talking rubbish) Canon’s assembly and QC is now highly automated and geared to production line tolerances.

I like that fact Nikon and Leica products still have a hand assembly and manual QC component. I believe rightly or wrongly it makes for higher quality product.

I’m reliably told there is variability in Leica lenses but I think the acceptable tolerances are reasonably tight.

I’ve given up on believing anything said about Canon unless I know the source. There is so much hyperbole and dross out there its too hard to get a handle on what the real story is.

T

tph3723

Last edited:
S

steve01

I used Happypagehk AF comfirmation adapter and work good enough for me with my Nikon lenses. I've ordered the G adapter 'leverless' ($166) shipped and the wait time is 35 days. The other kind with the lever is not available yet.

PHOTOZONE REVIEW: http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/Nik...r-af-s-14-24mm-f28-g-ed-n-test-report--review

GERMAN WEB REVIEW: http://www.pictchallenge-archives.net/TESTNUM/BD200_142470.html

In German but you can see the images.

Did you receive your adapter yet??? - Steve

robmac

Juts be glad you're not CDN. US price is roughly $1500. In Canada, it is not yet available, but is listed at $1999.99 with the $$ at roughly par. To get a warranty (Nikon's being nation-specific) I would need to pay and extra $500+13% tax.

On top of that, thanks to Nikon's BS warranty, a CDN lens would not appeal to a US buyer (no service) -and I'd take a $565 hit BEFORE I started offering a discount to what the new price is in say NY. Most CDNs buying/selling used lenses and gear to so to/from US and Europe - market here is just to small. I'm sure UK and EU shooters and sympathize.

So, looks like I'm buying from the US. $565 buys a lot of to/from shipping to Nikon US - IF ever needed.