The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss Lenses.......

helenhill

Bought my first Zeiss lens /Biogon35 2.
so this thread open to ALL Zeiss lenses
A test out & about in Chinatown-NYC :)

Last edited:

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
OK I will take the bait. This is my new zeiss 18/4 on the M8 . With a Leica UV/IR 55mm filter and set on UV/IR hand coded as a WATE. Look how even the exposure is into the corners and the overall sharpness. Contrast was a little high for a mid day on the water shoot. This lens is a keeper ..off to DAG for coding . :thumbup:

helenhill

Glenerroird / Wonderful shot
Thank you for taking the Bait

to my Eye....:bugeyes:
Some Zeiss lenses seem to have a Lovely Glow & Airiness about them
They seem to transcend a flatness which some lenses have

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Glenerroird / Wonderful shot
Thank you for taking the Bait

to my Eye....:bugeyes:
Some Zeiss lenses seem to have a Lovely Glow & Airiness about them
They seem to transcend a flatness which some lenses have
I have several zeiss lenses both for the M and what I used on my 5D . Across the board they have outstanding sharpness....almost anything you view at 100% has substantial detail. They are generally higher contrast than the comparable Leica M lens although there are some exceptions. The color is a notch behind the Leica equivalent with less microcontrast. ( what I still call tone separation). I use both the WATE and the ZM18 primarily for street photography..the 18 is sharper but the WATE color is better. Huge different in price. I have the 21/2.8 which is supposed to be the" pick of the litter " out for coding and the 50/2 planar. Both are high contrast tools and great lenses. Here are a few more. sorry about my signiture ..GlenErrolRd is my street address....name is Roger

helenhill

Roger
I agree their sharpness is Outstanding
but i beg to differ on Color
I prefer the Zeiss color to Leica
particularly when seeing it coupled w/film....WOW

Cheers ! Helen :)

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Roger
I agree their sharpness is Outstanding
but i beg to differ on Color
I prefer the Zeiss color to Leica
particularly when seeing it coupled w/film....WOW

Cheers ! Helen :)
Who can quarrel with the way a zeiss lens renders ? When I compare them head to head in situations relevant to my shooting(yours may differ) . Sometimes I prefer the leica M and others the Zeiss ZM . One you should try is the 50/2 planar ...if you are looking for resolution,contrast and color saturation....its right there with the very best lenses regardless of costs. At $6-700 what a deal. The only downside I have identified is that its a pain to get them coded. For many of the wide angles you have to change out the mount and then address the 6bit .

helenhill

Roger
I will look into the Planar/50 ....THANK YOU for the Tip
Today i bought the summarit 50/1.5
its lovely the oof (will post a pix under the thread 'lenses w/character' , I think YOU started :) )
BUT i do think I'm a real Zeiss gal

There is a fellow on RFF / goes by the name 'Avotius' aka Colin
His work with Zeiss lenses /Zeiss IIkon Body or M body & Film
is Outstanding......Check out his thread & critique on"More Zeiss 50 Planar' and his shots of a trip to China with that lens...Breathtaking and he's only 23 yrs old

Best-H

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Roger
I will look into the Planar/50 ....THANK YOU for the Tip
Today i bought the summarit 50/1.5
its lovely the oof (will post a pix under the thread 'lenses w/character' , I think YOU started :) )
BUT i do think I'm a real Zeiss gal

There is a fellow on RFF / goes by the name 'Avotius' aka Colin
His work with Zeiss lenses /Zeiss IIkon Body or M body & Film
is Outstanding......Check out his thread & critique on"More Zeiss 50 Planar' and his shots of a trip to China with that lens...Breathtaking and he's only 23 yrs old

Best-H
Helen I think sean reid writes about this in each of his lens tests..."its about how the lens draws". The summitar and the planar are just about the opposite ends of whats available. I look at the summitar examples and see highlights that glow and smooth OF areas ..the planar is the opposite....no flare , incredible sharpness,contrast and saturation. Having lenses that draw differently (even with the same FOV) just gives you options.

helenhill

at heart
its sharpness & high contrast / saturation I want
particularly in the Modern Day World

BUT yes on some occasion I may want the draw to be dreamy & moody
Best to You-H

bensonga

Zeiss and the tug. Hasselbald Zeiss 50mm CFi Distagon (and 503CWD-II). This tug was several hundred yards away from me and it's a small section of the total image.

I love Zeiss glass. They made exceptional lenses for telescopes too. I've had some incredible views of star clusters, planets, galaxies etc with a friend's 5 inch aperture Zeiss telescope...which compares very well with much larger telescopes we've used.

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska

helenhill

Gary
Great shot BUT what are they pumping into that water...its GREY!!!

Do Love ZEISS GLASS
in Greenwich Connecticut today :)

bensonga

Gary
Great shot BUT what are they pumping into that water...its GREY!!!

Do Love ZEISS GLASS
in Greenwich Connecticut today :)
I love your Zeiss glass photos Helen. I'm not familiar with the Zeiss Biogon lens you bought...what camera are you using it on?

That grey water....well, that's we've got up here in southcentral Alaska (Cook Inlet, to be precise). The entire inlet is like that....it's glacial silt flowing down from the Matanuska, Knik and other rivers that flow into the inlet....from the glaciers up in the mountains to the east of Anchorage. That's why our "beaches" are really just huge mud flats. So those boats aren't pumping anything nasty into the water (at least, they'd better not be!)....that's the water nature has brought us.....filled with silt.

Gary

ecliffordsmith

Hi All,

Well I dont own any Zeiss lenses but that is not because I have any quibbes with them. There are some wonderful shots here.

Helen,

I love the bokeh in the last shot you posted, which lens was that with please?

And talking of contrast, the country scence is quite a change from Midtown! Looks nice.

helenhill

Thank you Gary& Ed :D:D

I'm using my RD1s
and LUSTING for the ZEISS IIKON /film camera

I am having a SERIOUS debate in my Mind to shoot Film /I do realize the hassle
but when i look at B&W and Color ...FILM is Absolutely Rich,Lush & Beautiful.....

Check out at RFF OR Flickr, a young man whose avatar is 'Avotius' aka Colin
His work is so Magnificent...be it Leica M film or Zeiss IIkon
His photographs of China are utterly Mod, Hip & breathtaking
be it w/ the 35 Cron 3rd Edt, OR Zeiss Glass /all film / an occasional GRD shot too
To Die For !! He has two threads critiques on zeiss 28 lens & the 50 planar

Love to All
H.

fotografz

I've used Zeiss optics on anything I can bolt them onto. Had more Zeiss glass than any other over the years. First with film on a Contax, and Hasselbald ... then adapted them my Canons ... and one of the REAL reasons I swapped from Canon to a Nikon D3/D700 was to take advantage of the Zeiss ZF optics ... 25/2,8, 28/2, 50/2 Macro, 100/2 Macro, and now the 35/2 plus 85/1.4 are on order.

For the high ISO cameras, the flair suppression is nice with most Zeiss glass. Here are a couple of Zeiss shots done a very high ISOs on a Canon 1DsMKII.
The Pub shot was Zeiss 85/1.4 @ ISO 3200. The Zeiss 28/2 interior shot was the very last Sunday Brunch at the Plaza, NYC before it went private :thumbdown:

Last edited:

helenhill

Fotografz / is it aka 'Mark'

I am Totally hooked on Zeiss Glass.....great Shots for pusjhing the limit /iso wise
Your Pix at the Plaza was in the Palm Court / It was a Lovely spot to have Tea & Sweets or a Cocktail

At present I'm considering an old rolleiflex w/ the 80 planar...I'm whacking out:)

best- h

ShiroKuro

Gotta laugh Helen .... "I am having a SERIOUS debate in my Mind to shoot Film /I do realize the hassle
but when i look at B&W and Color ...FILM is Absolutely Rich,Lush & Beautiful....."

I was having the same debate...choosing between a Nikon D700 or a Plaubel Makina 670..... The Plaubel won my heart.... Now my bathroom is turning into a darkroom ... Enlarger and all the stuff that goes with it ...... and there is plenty of stuff ... Could of been so simple ...Mac Book pro a printer and the Nikon D 700 lol ; ) ...... I am understanding now the hassle of which you spoke....... Whacking out for sure ; )