The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Medium format Polaroids today?

emr

I haven't shot film in years, had an EOS 650 in the 80s and after that some film P&S cameras. The last 10 or so years I've shot digital, the last 3 years Pentax DSLRs and before that P&S. However, I'm rather interested in bigger format film shooting today. But not sure if I really want to either start a darkroom of my own or ship the films to god knows where. So I'm wondering if Polaroids or some similar solution is still viable today? I believe the original Polaroid went out of business some years ago, right? But is somebody still making such a suitable film today? And if someone still makes it, what would be a good MF camera for that, perhaps with just one 24-35mm (35mm EQ) lens? Also, what is the quality of such a photograph scanned? Is it even in the same league as real MF film? Is it even better than 35mm film?

Thanks!

K

krb

Fuji still makes instant film for both medium and large format. But as you suspect the resolution is not the best.

If you are interested in scanning the film onto the computer rather than using an enlarger and doing "wet" printing then black and white film is -extremely- easy to develop at home and does not require a dark room. It's so easy that even I can manage it.

FredBGG

Not Available
I shoot Fuji Polaroids on the Fuji GX680.

Here one in natural light.

The Color is very nice too.

You can't compare it to film though. Two different things.

fotografz

Google key words: Polaroid Artists ... or ... arrested motion polaroid collection Sothebys

The list of great artist and photographers that used Polaroids as an alternative art form is staggering.

Best to use a 6X7 camera that offers a Polaroid back as part of their options. One relatively rare one that I used for some time was a Mamiya 7-II 6X7 Medium Format rangefinder with a special Polaroid back ... lots of fun.

I only have one camera left in my gear closet that is capable of shooting film & Polaroid... a 6X7 Mamiya RZ Pro-IID. I keep it because I never believed that digital capture could produce the look of B&W film ... and to this day still can't despite amazing software for converting digital to B&W. IMO, B&W film work remains an art form of its own.

For analog supplies like various films, chemicals, google: Freestyle Photographic Supplies ... some pretty interesting "silver rich" film are still being made as well as Illford and Fuji, although now mostly available in 120 size only.

B&W film is pretty easy to process yourself ... but there are "art" labs that still do a great job of processing.

Marc

Paratom

I just bought a Rollei 6008 integralII with some lenses and also a Polaraoid magazin (50 € for the magazin).
Shot some Fuji with the Polaroid magazin (color).
Works fine, even though 6x6 is relativly small.
I havent scanned it yet - I did it more for fun and it is fun.

MCTuomey

I shoot Fuji Polaroids on the Fuji GX680.

Here one in natural light.

The Color is very nice too.

You can't compare it to film though. Two different things.
Really nice shot of a handsome young man ... would you happen to know which back I would need to try Fuji Pola on my (new to me) GX680III kit?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Really nice shot of a handsome young man ... would you happen to know which back I would need to try Fuji Pola on my (new to me) GX680III kit?
I don't think Fred is active on this forum for the moment, but I've been wondering about the same thing myself, so I sent an email to Fred with the question. Another source told me that he thought the FP-3000B as well as the FP-100C works (4x5 polaroids), but no solid confirmation on that yet.

MCTuomey

Thank you, Jorgan. If you receive confirmation, please do post what you learn. Same here of course. --Mike

mathomas

The Fuji pack films are pretty decent. I shoot them in my Hassy on occasion. Resolution is a bit disappointing, IMO, but looks amazing above. What's his secret?

Here's one of my recent on FP3000B. I believe they've dropped the 100 speed, which is a shame.

instant selfie by mike thomas, on Flickr

mathomas

So the combined wisdom from your answers would be: Yes, the Fuji 4x5 polaroids like the FP3000B will fit?
Sorry Jorgen, I think you'd actually be loading the smaller 3.25x4.25" (roughly) pack film in a medium format camera, unless I'm missing something. I get slightly less than full coverage vertically and very much less than full coverage horizontally, when that film is loaded in my Hassy instant back.

Can the GX actually fill a larger frame than 2.25" high? If so, that's pretty nice.

Thomas Fallon

So the combined wisdom from your answers would be: Yes, the Fuji 4x5 polaroids like the FP3000B will fit?
No. If we are talking about an MF camera, I do not know of adapters for 4x5 pola-fujiroid. You need the pack film in the appropriate back. For instance, on GX 680 the back listed above.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I'm all confused. I have the back as mentioned above. I just don't know what size of polaroid goes in there. It seems rather large, but what do I know? So the pack I'm looking for is 3.25x4.25"? Is that the FP3000B then, or does it come in different sizes?

Sorry for the confusion, but I only shot 35mm in pre-digital times, so this is all new to me :confused:

mathomas

I'm all confused. I have the back as mentioned above. I just don't know what size of polaroid goes in there. It seems rather large, but what do I know? So the pack I'm looking for is 3.25x4.25"? Is that the FP3000B then, or does it come in different sizes?

Sorry for the confusion, but I only shot 35mm in pre-digital times, so this is all new to me :confused:
Like with any film it comes in sizes, and options of "emulsion" within those sizes.

I believe the following should work in your back:

Amazon.com: FUJIFILM FP-100C 3.25 X 4.25 Inches Professional Instant Color Film: Camera & Photo

Amazon.com: FUJIFILM FP-3000B 3.34 X 4.25 Inches Professional Instant Black and White Film: Camera & Photo

These are what I use in my Hassy.

RGoldman

The two films Mike listed above are what fit the Fuji polaroid back for the GX 680. I believe they are the only options at this point.

Ron

emr

Thanks, everybody. I wonder if there's a good way to use a Pentax 6x7 with a Polaroid back? On another forum there's a Pentax 6x7 MLU for sale fresh from CLA together with the 90mm normal lens. I'm somewhat tempted.

MCTuomey

Big thanks to Ron and Mike for clarifying which back - I'm going to check out KEH and then eBay and pick one up.