The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji boasts X100 as having exceptional high noise!

David Klepacki

Anybody seen Fuji's recent ad for their X100 (e.g., rear cover of Popular Photography magazine)? They advertise their X100 as follows:

"The FinePix X100 provides smooth tonal rendering, an exceptionally low S/N ratio and outstanding image clarity..."

So, they claim both outstanding image clarity and exceptionally low S/N ratio??? This makes no sense. Exceptionally low S/N ratio means exceptionally high Noise relative to the captured Signal. Basically, Fuji seems proud to have built a very noisy camera???

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
It's probably the same crew that designed the counter intuitive firmware.
Noise.... I use mine on silent mode...
No noise....

Millsart

Well, you've also got to consider that a majority of consumers probably don't have a clue what a S/N ratio even is, and "LOW" sounds like it would be a better thing when it comes to noise.

Obviously anyone that knows a thing or two about photography realizes this is a mistake, but then again, does Fuji really need to market this camera to those people ?? They've probably already bought or on the waiting list for one as they already know what it does and why its good.

Or, could just be a silly mistake from a marketing group that doesn't have a clue about photography and just wrote what they though was good ad copy

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
David, these days that expression "exceptionally low S/N ratio" means the opposite (like the American expression "I could care less"). We don't get it either, but this is the shift in common use.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
All kidding aside, I have to agree with Kit. From a marketing standpoint it makes sense. The potential buyer now thinks the camera has very little noise which in fact is true.
It very well could be an American thing.
Oxymorons are common practice in the USA.

crwoo

LOL lost in translation!
i agree the low noise is best in every camera i owned. Its a great camera, i don't care if fuji lies it has lots noise. :p

C

cosinaphile

i find the noise to be low .... it has an extremely low noise to signal ratio

there thats better