The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

120mm film scanner recommendations

johnnygoesdigital

Hi-

Now that i've decided to scan my negs, I was curious about quality. I would appreciate any recommendations on film scanners, (nikon LS 9000, etc.), I shoot mostly 120mm, but occasionally shoot 35mm too. Honestly, by making this decision, I feel like I'm putting the artist back in my art, I know that seems corny, but it's so satisfying to shoot with composition and a light meter!

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
You will have to change your name to johnnygoesanalog.:ROTFL::ROTFL:

I use the Nikon 9000 with Vuescan on a MacBookPro and love it! I enjoy the experience of shooting film, but like the scanning of the film even more. If you get the Nikon, get the optional glass carrier right away because it makes life soooo much easier when scanning 6x4.5, 6x6 and 6x7. The 35mm carrier supplied works fine for that format.

johnnygoesdigital

Cindy,

Thanks for the recommendation on the scanner and accessories. I still shoot digital, so the name can stay, I just find a tremendous amount of satisfaction in film. I've owned a H4D and DF, but they are finicky. Film cameras have character and most are superior in build quality.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I was just kidding about the name.:D

I know what you mean about build quality. I have a Leica M6 and iiig. Both are well built, solid, beautiful and fun to shoot.

johnnygoesdigital

I was just kidding about the name.:D

I know what you mean about build quality. I have a Leica M6 and iiig. Both are well built, solid, beautiful and fun to shoot.
My "name" does push buttons on the film forums, perhaps "johnnycamera" would be appropriate.
I had an M6, that I made the mistake of selling...the legacy of cameras such as Leica's "M" and Hasselblad "V" systems are great examples of build quality. Being able to switch back and forth to digital with these systems is evidence of their heritage.

Ginko

Yes, the Nikon 9000 sounds to be a fine scanner or you can also look for the older 8000 ED for budget consideration but be sure as previously said to use a good glass holder.

Some years ago, I would have suggested you the Minolta Dimage Multi scan pro but not anymore as it doesn't have any support if any problems happened (and they might happen soon or later). Mine was excellent enough for my use and my "expertise" but died recently : no more support, no more film scan. :'(
So it would be risky even with an excellent/mint one on the used market.

The Epson V700 has also nice critics for medium format films scan but I don't know as I never used one.:)

C

ColSebastianMoran

johnny, for Medium Format, a flatbed is not a bad option. These are current products, still sold and supported by the vendors, and a lot less expensive. The Nikon 9000 is better but no longer sold by Nikon.

Everyone has their own quality standards, but I am getting nice 12x18 inch prints from 6x9 negatives from an inexpensive Epson V500, and I like a print sharp enough for close inspection. In my tests, this scanner resolves 1350-1800 ppi. The V700/750 would be a bit better, perhaps 2000ppi. The Coolscan 9000 I'm told resolves 4000ppi. I think the V500 produces scans that make good prints 6x the linear dimension of the negative.

Google "Sebastian Moran V500" for specific test results and sample files.

Paratom

there is also a new Reflecta Scanner which can do MF.
I read one review saying it is not as good as the Nikon 9000 but better than a Flatbed like Epson V750 and it is not too expensive.

rubysky

I have been doing my scans using an Imacon 343 with reasonable results. The FlexColor software is a breeze to work with and it's still supported by Hasselblad. It works with my 64 bit Vista right out of the box. And I do not have to fiddle around with any glass holders and such, it's a hassle to keep them clean. And the scanner is built like a battleship, the workmanship is second to none.

glee719

I am also curious to see if anyone can share experiences having used both a flatbed and a real film scanner like 9000ED. Not knowing how much I want to get into film, I just bought a Canon 9000f flatbed which has good general reviews. Then I always see people recommend Coolscan 9000ED which is an older product. If I don't care about the transport, can the Canon 9000f output the same quality as a Coolscan 9000ED? The Canon claims 9600 optical resolution which is way unrealistic for me but is there any reason to get a dedicated film scanner?

Yes I bought Vuescan too.

johnnygoesdigital

I purchased a V750, and must say, I love it! I think this scanner gets to 90% of what I need it to do...for now. The fluid mount option is easy and does make a difference. Very impressive scanner for the price!

Godfrey

I once considered the Nikon 9000 before they disappeared. Nikon film scanners are the class act in this price range ... the Imacon Flextight is the next level and costs a BUNCH more.

I do still love the look of film, but only have time to work with it occasionally. I find the process of development and scanning both tedious and too slow for my druthers. I sold all my 'serious' 35mm and 120 format cameras a while ago.

That said, I acquired one of my old favorites ... Leica M4-2 ... in September of 2011 that I just like using too much. And a friend called me to say, "Hey look what I found for you! ..." three days ago:

It was about to go into a dumpster from what he told me. (Just the body ... that's his Nikkor-H 85/1.8 on it; I have one of the same lenses right here.)

So I'll keep shooting a little 35mm now and then, and have the pleasure of using my first Nikon and my favorite Leica M alongside my modern cameras. I picked up a Nikon Coolscan 5 ED last year so I'm good to go for 35mm.

Life is good. :)

glee719

So since I did the first research and got myself the Canon 9000F, then V700, then V700+Better Scanning holder with 2 ANR glasses. I have to say after fine-tuning the height, I got very satisfactory results from the Better Scanning film holder. The tests using the same film position but different height really tells a difference with every 0.2mm increments the instruction suggested. My scanner's optimal height ended up being 0.6mm elevated.

See sample here with the brick wall.

vickko

Thanks for this thread.

I have a bunch of film cameras and two digitals. I much prefer film, but use the digital for convenience.

But no scanner - still "on the fence" about buying one.

Weird though - I'll drop a ton of money on a lens because I want to try its look, but, still can't (won't) consider buying a cheap Epson V750 to deal with digitizing film.

Vick