The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

An un-answered question about adapters for C/Y lenses on Canon

• Thread starter MarcoVenturiniAutieri
  • Start date
M

MarcoVenturiniAutieri

Hello photographers,
I apologise if the question has been asked and answered. I have honestly searched the net without finding the answer though.
I understand that some Contax/Yashica lenses cannot be happily adapted on EOS bodies when they are focused at infinity (protruding lens back). However, I am only interested in understanding whether the Tessar pancake 45/2.8 would fit an EOS 5 (not 5D), and I have not found the specific compatibility. I have read that the Leitax adaptar would not work, however I am considering a simple removable adapter.
Also, should you believe that I can happily use this combination, I would like to ask advice on what adapter, or at least what features, I should be looking for. I read of chips for focus confirmation, I read of locking mechanism, and I am a bit confused - I have never used any lens adapted on the EOS.
Thanks,
Marco

M

MarcoVenturiniAutieri

Oh! In this page I read that the Eos 5 would not meter correctly with a manual lens attached :-(

Useful link therefore then, thanks...

K

krb

It is not mentioned on there, but I wonder if an adapter that uses a focus confirmation chip would allow your 5 to meter correctly? The whole point of the chip is tricks the camera into thinking there is a lens attached so that the focus system will activate.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Why don't you just buy a CY mount camera? I just won an auction for a mint Yashica FR-3 Super 2000 for $29.99.

M

MarcoVenturiniAutieri

I had to sell - as broken, on eBay - three Contax cameras (2 139s and 1 167) that broke on me. Unfortunately, I am not that confident in Contax bodies anymore.
I want a camera with a spot meter and an easy way of dialing exposure compensation.
I don't know any Yashicas with such feature :-? On the other hand, Contax 167 and Aria would be perfect, but in good conditions are as expensive as my Tessar if not more. Also the Canon 5 would be perfect... if it only worked!

edwardkaraa

It will work with a quality adapter that has the correct thickness like Kindai or Rayqual. Unfortunately, these adapters will cost you as much as a Contax body, being around 160$ + shipping. As for the Contax bodies being prone to problems, that is certainly true. The best option would be, if you can afford it, the all mechanical S2, that comes with spot metering, a huge bright beautiful viewfinder, and is completely trouble free.

M

MarcoVenturiniAutieri

Hi Edward,
So in your opinion the correct thickness would allow mounting the 45/2.8. However, I read of metering problems.
I really like the S2, however my ideal camera would have spot metering as well as automatic exposure (hence the exposure compensation dial).
Ciao,
Marco

M

MarcoVenturiniAutieri

So I have tried. I bought an adapter...
Does not work. The Tessar 45/2.8 does not allow the mirror movement on a Canon EOS 5. Besides this, with this lens tha camera meter becomes more "optimist" of about 1.5 stops.
:-(