The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Suggestions for 2-3 lens K-5 kit

biglouis

I'm thinking again of getting a K-5. Actually, the kit with the 18-55 is not much different to the body only in price in the UK at present so I think I will get that combination.

However, I really am only a prime shooter. My favourite lengths are 35, 50 and 90.

Looking through the Pentax lens possibilities it seems like the 21 Limited, the 35 Macro Limited and the 55/1.4 DA.

Does that seem like sound logic given my preferences?

LouisB

Paratom

I'm thinking again of getting a K-5. Actually, the kit with the 18-55 is not much different to the body only in price in the UK at present so I think I will get that combination.

However, I really am only a prime shooter. My favourite lengths are 35, 50 and 90.

Looking through the Pentax lens possibilities it seems like the 21 Limited, the 35 Macro Limited and the 55/1.4 DA.

Does that seem like sound logic given my preferences?

LouisB
When I had a K5 some weeks ago the35 was my favorite and most used lens. I find the 21 +35 a great combo. And then the 55 for portrait (I have never used it) sounds like a great combo.

tsjanik

You might also consider the most highly regarded of the full-frame auto focus lenses: 31mm, 43mm and 77mm.
If you can live without AF and with stop down metering (simple button push to meter), some of the earlier K and M series lenses are quite good and inexpensive as well.
Finally, if you can also forego automatic diaphragms, the M42 Super Takumar and Super-Multi -Coated Takumars have superb build quality and have some real gems, e.g., any 50mm f/1.4, 20mm f/4.5.
Here's an example of the beautiful bokeh of the 50mm f/1.4 Super Takumar.

Tom

_IGP0166 by tsjanik47, on Flickr

iiiNelson

When I was seriously considering picking up a K5 I think I narrowed down a "95% Solution" kit to the 31mm, 77mm, and 18-135 super zoom. Another option was to replace the 18-135 for the 50-135/2.8 but I have since just realized that the M9 is still my 95% solution and I can just get what I need a DSLR for out of Micro 4/3...

biglouis

When I had a K5 some weeks ago the35 was my favorite and most used lens. I find the 21 +35 a great combo. And then the 55 for portrait (I have never used it) sounds like a great combo.
Thanks for your input

You might also consider the most highly regarded of the full-frame auto focus lenses: 31mm, 43mm and 77mm.
If you can live without AF and with stop down metering (simple button push to meter), some of the earlier K and M series lenses are quite good and inexpensive as well.
Finally, if you can also forego automatic diaphragms, the M42 Super Takumar and Super-Multi -Coated Takumars have superb build quality and have some real gems, e.g., any 50mm f/1.4, 20mm f/4.5.
Here's an example of the beautiful bokeh of the 50mm f/1.4 Super Takumar.

Tom
Thanks, useful input. I'll check out the 31mm and the 43mm

When I was seriously considering picking up a K5 I think I narrowed down a "95% Solution" kit to the 31mm, 77mm, and 18-135 super zoom. Another option was to replace the 18-135 for the 50-135/2.8 but I have since just realized that the M9 is still my 95% solution and I can just get what I need a DSLR for out of Micro 4/3...
My M8 remains my main camera but it is no good for low light 'event-type' work. I have finally lost patience with my m43rds kit which just has poor low light performance.

Louis

iiiNelson

Agreed that the M cameras aren't the best for low light what I found though was that most of my "preferred combinations" outside of the zooms were just "mirrors" of my M9 kit where I needed something that really took care of the short falls.

Any way I configured a kit it brought me back to the option of faster glass for the M outside of telephoto ability when I looked at cost of a new system. May be different for you though.

Thanks for your input

Thanks, useful input. I'll check out the 31mm and the 43mm

My M8 remains my main camera but it is no good for low light 'event-type' work. I have finally lost patience with my m43rds kit which just has poor low light performance.

Louis

DavidL

I went with 21, 40 and 70. Ltds I initially got the 21 and 70 but the 40 was such a good buy I got it, but I can see the appeal of the 35mm macro to fit between the other two.
From my perspective 50mm is too close to 35mm
I really wanted the 15mm Ltd but several of the guys here put me off it. I actually tried one but it wasn't acceptable to me at the edges at f5.6.