The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Oly m4/3 - mockup at photokina

Ben Rubinstein

Seems to be Panasonic who were driving the new standard, Oly will only have a mockup at photokina which means don't expect anything before PMA. Given Panasonics rather lame attempt at the new standard (must keep the Japanese traditionalists happy :wtf:) I was hoping to see Oly do better plus some more lenses to keep us interested. At present however I don't think we will see any real movement within the new standard until PMA which is a shame.

Lili

Seems to be Panasonic who were driving the new standard, Oly will only have a mockup at photokina which means don't expect anything before PMA. Given Panasonics rather lame attempt at the new standard (must keep the Japanese traditionalists happy :wtf:) I was hoping to see Oly do better plus some more lenses to keep us interested. At present however I don't think we will see any real movement within the new standard until PMA which is a shame.
Did you see the mock up at DPReview Ben?
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0809/08092207olympus_micro_four_thirds.asp

clay stewart

I like the mock up, it looks like GRD/DP1 with a detachable prime, which is what I was hoping for, with a 14/2 I presume:). I wish it was going to be released now. I'm glad to see that they did it different than Pany did. I think it will be a good money maker for them and it's different enough not to cut into the DSLR sales as well, like the Pany probably will.

Terry

I like the mock up, it looks like GRD/DP1 with a detachable prime, which is what I was hoping for, with a 14/2 I presume:). I wish it was going to be released now. I'm glad to see that they did it different than Pany did. I think it will be a good money maker for them and it's different enough not to cut into the DSLR sales as well, like the Pany probably will.
From the day I saw the Panny it seemed to me like this was a system where you want two bodies. The Panny type for zooms, tilt and flip screen, evf etc. and a body like this for going light with a prime. So, good news on the horizon.

Joan

Yippee! I am totally psyched about this now. Exactly what Terry said, G1 for zooms and Oly for the little pancake primes. What a great travel combo! Where do I sign up?? :D

V

Vivek

dpreview:
the new camera will be a petite 120 x 65 x 32mm in size
I measured the size of the Pen F/FT cameras and it is 132mmx72mmx32mm!:)

Can't wait till the Olympus cams hit the shelves!:clap:

etrigan63

Has anyone noticed how close the Oly mockup is to the CGI fakes that were circulating around a couple of weeks back? I have the official press release on my blog as well.

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
Here are my comments on it at On Line Photographer and I stand by them. A Pen this is not nor is it a DMD.

"For me Oly's "DMD" 4/3's is DOD. No, real viewfinder. Why didn't they look at their great Pen FT for a form factor and at least have a nice EVF?"

Other comments on it.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I get a feeling here that Olympus has been taken a bit aback by Panasonic's fast progress with m4/3. They are showing what is clearly a non-functional mock-up, and no lenses, while Panasonic is already a functional system. They have even showed a prototype for their next camera.

Are we seeing a disagreement on launch dates here, and that Olympus felt pushed into an earlier launch than originally planned? Oly has never been at the forefront with fast product launches, while Panasonic, with heavy experience from the fast-moving electronics industry, is used to short shelf lives and products that are sometimes out of production even before they reach the consumers.

V

Vivek

.. while Panasonic, with heavy experience from the fast-moving electronics industry, is used to short shelf lives and products that are sometimes out of production even before they reach the consumers.
I don't know where you get that impression, Jorgen. I see Panasonic cameras in camera shop displays staying put forever. :)

They are way over priced and with no advantage compared to many lower priced alternatives.

Yes, it is puzzling about Olympus' position. But, I will wait.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I don't know where you get that impression, Jorgen. I see Panasonic cameras in camera shop displays staying put forever. :)
Correction: Planned short shelf life. So far, they haven't been enormously successful, and I doubt that the L1 was made in more than one production batch.