The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

RAID solutions?

C

carbonmetrictree

I've been looking into a RAID solution and there are so many different companies to choose from. I like what Caldigit, OWC and Buffalo have to offer, but I am interested in any real world opinions about a mirrored back up. I do like what the Drobo has to offer, but I'd like to see what else is out there. I'll be purchasing 4 1TB Seagate ES.2 hard drives soon to make sure that no tears will fall if one HD dies!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Agreed, read the thread Stephen liked to first.

Bottom line differences are management of array and I/O speeds. Any true RAID 0 or 5 is going to offer faster I/O than Drobo, but usually requires identical drives including hot spares, and needs to be monitored and managed regularly by you. So instead of buying 4 ES.2 Seagates, buy 6 so you can have hot spares. When those are gone, you'll be buying a new set of 6 drives and re-building your entire array. OTOH with Drobo, you can buy your 4 ES.2's now for 3TB net storage and in a year (or two or three) when Drobo fills up or a drive fails, you can add in a new pair 4TB ES6 Seagates for of 6TB net storage; two years later add in another pair of 4TB ES8's for 12TB net storage...

To my way of thinking, the BEST solution is a fast array for working files backed up to a redundant array for security, backed up again to an offsite array for redundant security against direct physical loss. My current strategy -- not necessarily right for anybody else -- is my working files are on a striped array (fast), mirrored to Drobo onsite (smart RAID 5 redundant and okay speed), which is then backed up offsite to older, single drives in a cheap, JBOD fashion, in case of a major loss (older single sata drives are cheaper and faster than BlueRay).

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I would +1 Jack's strategy, unless you have a system such as a MacPro which offers a hardware raid option. In that case, you have four principle options for the "main" array if you are limited to four drive bays.
1) four way striped (fastest)
2) 0+1 mirrored two way stripes - somewhat redundant, read speed half of the four way, write speed a bit slower than a two way stripe for large files
3) four way raid 5 - a little slower than 1 on reads, a little slower than 2 on large writes fault tolerant, keep a spare drive in your cabinet
4) three way raid five with hot spare - fault tolerant, but convenient

I personally have picked the four way striped configuration (1), using 300GB 15k rpm SAS drives
SMOKING QUICK.
-bob

C

carbonmetrictree

I think I missed that thread while searching for more information. Jack, I really like your solution, it sounds like a good balance awareness in terms of speed, redundancy and also longevity of the drives since the drives need to be identical most of the time.

Thanks guys, you've been a big help!

Andrew

charlesphoto

My solution has been to get a Firmtek Seritek 5 bay array. It is a really well built piece of gear. Not as cheap as some, but also not as expensive as others. I highly recommend it. You will be limited to Raid 1,0, or JBOD though. I currently have it set up as all JBOD as I consolidate a lot of drives. For myself, I also deal with a lot of scans, so the need to separate those out from RAW work. I also want to have some disks of jobs I only need to access rarely on an extra tray ready to pop in when need be. And the easy ability to get drives offsite.

At some point I will probably go with several drives 1 and/or 0 and the others jbod. But for now JBOD gives me all the speed and security I need.

I researched long and hard and the biggest concern about the DROBO I had was if something happened to the enclosure itself you were kind of screwed. Of course you would have that work backed up elsewhere but I like the idea of being able to pop my discs into a machine at anytime without having to rebuild.

Anyway, lots of options out there and ways of doing it. Best is to just purchase one and go with it. I wish I'd got this array a long time instead of yet another lens. Lenses come and go - your digital files shouldn't!!

C

carbonmetrictree

Thanks Charles, I'll probably stick to a RAID 0,1. The Firmtek looks like a great unit!

charlesphoto

Hi Andrew,

It really is the best bang for the buck out there. Great customer service too. I researched a lot of them as I only wanted to buy something like this once to last me for a number of years.

Good luck!

Charles