The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pick one and why?

N

nei1

Two shots in sequencial frames that I like,have never printed the one with the child as it has large black marks in the sky which I found impossible to remove from an analogue print but embarrasingly easy in photoshop(this is not a finished print).The 2 shots were taken about half an hour apart and am interested in preferences between the two from the very educated eyes out there,thanks for your time,Neil.:salute:

N

nei1

:ROTFL:priceless. At least the finer details are covered:ROTFL:

helenhill

FUNNY....I Adore the FIRST Shot

The Big dog in relation to the Small boy

The square dark entrance against the whiteness of the dog

There seems to be more Mystery in the first shot, even an eeriness...Lovely

Best-H :)

popum

These are both wonderful shots. I'm not sure why one much chose between them. But, if there were space to hang only one, I would go with the first. It has almost a surreal or dada like effect. The second, for me, looses something with the woman looking in the direction of the camera.

Good work

Mike

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Definitely the first shot.
1) Focal points of interest placed well and asymetrical
2) Contrast in size between boy and dog
3) Contrast in tone, white dog to rest of scene

I might try cropping it more like this while dodging the boy a bit:
View attachment 8029
reason: to balance visual weight of boy and dog and to strike a stronger diagonal
-bob

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
For many of the reasons already stated, I like the first one. The second is also interesting, but the woman making eye contact does ruin the mood a bit. Oh, and I like the full frame.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I like both. IF printed as-is, I go with the second because it has better native composition -- unfortunately the guy's on the right are a tad too close to the edge of the frame for comfort.

However, if the first is cropped to a 4:3, I would choose it as it becomes almost perfectly composed:

N

nei1

Thanks to you all for your kind words and help.I do understand about the sugested cropping of the first photo,its just something that Ive never done,what I do do however,which is much the same,is print to emphasize what I feel is the correct composition.I remember it being important to have the end of the wall on the right hand side in the photo,I can only think because it echoes the turret the boy is sitting on,but its not strong enough to move the photo so far to the right.Its possible that Im a natural 4·3 photographer,something to think about.Thanks again for all your comments,glad you enjoyed them,Neil.