The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus Zuiko Digital - zoom lens - 14 mm - 54 mm

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Dell has neither one Jono and it is pissing me off. LOL Pardon the french

Saving money for some medical stuff. So cash is short . I will wait it out

micek

Hi Guy
It's great . . . but
it isn't as good as the 12-60
in any respect except price.
Not quite: it is a faster lens than the 12-60 at all focal lengths (between 14-54mm, obviously), it is smaller and it is lighter.
The 12-60 is sharper, but the 14-54 is certainly sharp enough for anything and suffers from lesser distortions at the wide end.
I'd limit myself to saying the 12-60 is superior in some respects. The 14-54 is an excellent lens on its own right. And half the price.:)

G

GLJ

if you're thinking of 4:3, do it right and get an E3 with the 12-60.
Hey Jono, you forgot the:
"if you're getting a lovely E3, make sure its a new one with warranty so you can send it back if you're one of the unfortunate ones with focusing errors"
and
"if you're getting the (very nice and sharp) 12-60, make certain its not one thats been sitting on the shelf and so check the serial numbers in case its one of the ones that had a general recall"

We wouldn't want Guy to end up with a dud now would we ;-)

Cheers
G.

Riley

these guys seem to like it
http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/33/cat/15

"Conclusion
The 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 is the ultimate walk-around lens for the Olympus four-thirds system. While not as versatile as a superzoom (54mm isn't very long, as far as telephoto lenses go, even with the 2x crop factor) the optical quality is truly remarkable. Combined with excellent resistance to distortion and shading, and a respectable chromatic aberration profile (you have to look hard to find CA in images produced by this lens), this lens does the job, and does more than well enough to justify the reasonable price demanded for it."

they havent sampled the 12-60 yet