The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

State of the Laptop Screen?

Lars

This is a topic that seems to drag on forever... when are we going to get good (as in GOOD) screens on laptops? For a while there was hope with Lenovo's IPS Flexview screens, but they are almost gone from the market due to lack of demand which in turn has made it diffucult for Lenovo to source suppliers.

Nowadays it seems to be all TN with crappy viewing angles.

There is some hope on the backlight side of things, with LED backlighting very slowly penetrating the market. Sony and Fujitsu were early some 2 1/2 years ago with their ultracompacts, and Apple joined this summer and perhaps some others that I am unaware of.

I remember a time - perhaps mid-90's - when there were a lot of ads showing people using a laptop, on the beach, in direct sunlight. While sand might not be so compatible with computers, for us photographers it would be good if we some day could actually use our computers on location. The vision of working on a computer outdoors seems as far away as ever. Boo hoo.

The reason I bring this up occasionally is of course that, like everything else, supply of good screen is (to some degree) driven by demand. If nobody asks for a laptop with the SAME quality as good desktops ("what do you expect? It's a laptop.") then we'll never get that. Oh, and I have a software demo tomorrow but no good laptop to demo on.

While Apple has some decent screens in their laptop, they're still not GOOD - as in MVA/PVA/IPS/S-IPS 10-bit gamma correction good. Lenovo had the best screen in the Flexview, but their target market is the IT department so demand has dwindled.

Where do you see the market going?

I'd for sure be willing to pay an extra $500 to get Eizo quality on my laptop. (Make that €500, I'm back in Europe now.)

Lars

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Lars:

I just finished setting up my Macbook Pro, a late model 15" 2.6 with the LED backlit screen and improved graphics card. I can say it profiled very well, though not vastly superior to my last "bright-screen" Sony with pro graphics. What's interesting though, is I am currently using the little laptop attached to my 30" cinema display, and it holds that profile phenomenally well --- looks as good as my PC workstation did!

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Jack,
This has been my experience as well.
The lcd backlit screens are pretty good.
-bob

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
Not to Hijack this thread... but, how much better is an Eizo, which I've always heard great things about, over a Dell/Apple monitor?
Say, LCD either Dual 20" Full Screens or a single 30" widescreen.

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Chris:

This would be a great stand-alone post --- please re-post is as a new thread!

Cheers,