The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

XP1 lens chatter at power up/down, also with Power Saver Mode

tom in mpls

I posted on the firmware thread about my problem, but am choosing to start a new thread for this specific problem. My camera that just arrived had lens chattering ONLY when using OVF, but not when it would focus viewing through the EVF or LCD. Also, the histogram would not show up in the OVF. I discovered that shutting off Power Save Mode eliminated the focusing chatter when using the OVF, and the histogram returned.

The lenses do still chatter whenever I power up or power down.

Does anyone else observe these things? Is Power Saver Mode an known issue? I am not sure what is "normal".

The camera and lenses all have firmware ver. 1.01.

Edit due to incomplete info above:

This was a used body with 18 and 35mm lenses. They all arrived yesterday with ver. 1.0.1. It was not until late evening that I took everything out. I don't recall if there was chatter initially yesterday, but after I went through the menus and made some changes, the behaviour described above was observed. And to be more specific on the behavior, the lenses will chatter when I power up or power down. If Power Save Mode is on, then the lens chatters when I bring the camera to my eye for OVF (auto switch from LCD to viewfinder), it chatters again when I half-press for autofocus, and chaters once more when I lower the camera from my eye. Autofocusing from with the EVF or the LCD does not produce the chatter. Now with Power Save Mode off, the lenses will still chatter whenever I power up or power down.

Last edited:

Braeside

I can confirm that the histogram does not appear to work with power save on. I have switched off both power save and quick start mode, as they both seem to have detrimental effects and little benefit. I can't detect the chattering with OVF mode however. I did have the usual chattering before the firmware update, so I know how it sounds.

Braeside

Tom, so you never heard what it was like before the firmware update? - that would bother you much more. What little I hear now is nothing compared to before.

tom in mpls

Please see my edit; my initial post was made in the middle of the night and could have been more clear.

Has anyone else noted this lens chatter problem associated with Power Save Mode and autofocus?

I asked this same question at dpreview, and so far one other person noted the chatter due to Power Save Mode on. Another member wrote "This is the core operation of keeping the live histogram updated in Fuji and many other cameras. X100 chatters too but due to its design it is much quieter. If you don't want chattering to happen then enable DoF preview, the histogram will not be updated but the lens will stay at its aperture."

So maybe this has 2 causes:
1.) Power Save Mode, and
2.) Live histogram.

I'll play with it some more when I get home later. Now I wonder if histogram is off, and Power Save Mode is on, what will happen?

Braeside

OK Tom, understand what you are saying. Certainly Power Save Mode is a bad idea as it slows down AF speed as well.

Terry

I thought Power Save Mode has some other impacts as well (focus speed IRRC). I do not use the mode. I get enough out of the original battery and I have two replacement batteries that I just don't worry about saving the power.

tom in mpls

I thought Power Save Mode has some other impacts as well (focus speed IRRC). I do not use the mode. I get enough out of the original battery and I have two replacement batteries that I just don't worry about saving the power.
Yeah, it certainly seemed to drastically lengthen focus time as well.

scifitographer

i'd noticed the histogram wasn't working but never thought it could be related to the power save mode being turned on... after upgrading the firmware i don't have any lens chatter.

tom in mpls

i'd noticed the histogram wasn't working but never thought it could be related to the power save mode being turned on... after upgrading the firmware i don't have any lens chatter.
No lens chatter with Power Save Mode on?

BTW, I do like this camera a great deal. I hope this becomes a moot point.

I'm still trying to understand if there is copy to copy variation in the "baseline" lens chatter.

Terry

No lens chatter with Power Save Mode on?
I think I read on Seans site that there still might be a bit of chatter but greatly diminished. Just to put this in perspective the Olympus OMD + Panny 25mm f1.4 makes worse chatter than the Fuji pre- firmware.