The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji's M mount adapter - cool specs framelines!

It seems to me that the adapter is just used to store lens information which could in principle be stored also in the camera FW, it does not provide any real link between the camera and the lens.
Do I miss something?

Terry

Yeah I guess you could look at it that they want to sell the adapter so you use the button on the adapter to set the lens. They could let you uses a dumb adapter and have you set all the info in the menus.

I guess I was liking the vignette and color control as well as the framelines if using OVF

Braeside

It doesn't say if the lens correction is applied to only JPG or also Raw files. Ricoh GXR correction only applies to JPG.
Interesting they have already a list of incompatible lenses, including the Zeiss 35mm C Biogon - that one worked fine on my GXR A12 Mount. I sold the lens recently because the Fujinon 35/1.4 covered that.
I'll probably get the Fuji adaptor as my experience with the eBay Chinese adaptors has not been good, they were not quite the correct thickness for infinity focus and they were also not perfectly parallel to the sensor plane.
However the main thing Fuji had to sort out is faster EVF update rates and focus peaking with a choice of user magnification for focus checking. The GXR is miles ahead in this respect.

It doesn't say if the lens correction is applied to only JPG or also Raw files. Ricoh GXR correction only applies to JPG.
Interesting they have already a list of incompatible lenses, including the Zeiss 35mm C Biogon - that one worked fine on my GXR A12 Mount. I sold the lens recently because the Fujinon 35/1.4 covered that.
I'll probably get the Fuji adaptor as my experience with the eBay Chinese adaptors has not been good, they were not quite the correct thickness for infinity focus and they were also not perfectly parallel to the sensor plane.
However the main thing Fuji had to sort out is faster EVF update rates and focus peaking with a choice of user magnification for focus checking. The GXR is miles ahead in this respect.
David,
In case of Ricoh the color shading corrections and the peripheral illumination corrections go into the raw file also, the distortion corrections goes into the jpg only.
The User manual is not very clear about that, but I made a quick test some time ago exaggerating the corrections and the effect was clearly visible on the raw file.
Actually the user manual is only specifying that the distortion correction is not available for the raw file and does not say anything about color shading and peripheral illumination, this is why I tried to test it by myself.

Braeside

Ario, that's interesting, I am fairly sure I tested that and with my GXR it didn't affect the Raw files, I am using Aperture to process them.

I will have to test that again.

Braeside

Ario, just did a quick test here, shooting Raw + JPG on the GXR where I deliberately modified one corner colour shading. The Raw does not show any correction, but the JPG does. In this quick test I was just using the Preview App in Mac OSX which can read the DNG as a Raw file, but I'm sure Aperture would give the same results. I have not tried Lightroom or ACR, perhaps they can somehow decode that additional information if it is in the Raw file?

David I have just tested again the peripheral illumination only and it is evident the effect on the raw (both in LR4 and RPP).
I have assumed that for the color shade should be the same, but may be this is not correct, I will test it also.

Braeside

Ah OK, I will test the peripheral shading here, I had not tried that. Interesting how these things are not documented very clearly.

Braeside

Ario, I can confirm on GXR that peripheral shading does work with DNG, but Colour Shade correcting does not appear to. Have not tested distortion correction, but I believe you already tested this, so I will take your word for that! Thanks for the interesting discussion, you learn something new every day!

aleksanderpolo

The color shading does not seem to affect the file, whether jpg or raw. It seem to only change the LCD in my test. Nevertheless, using the CV 15 I only see some vignetting that can be corrected by peripheral shading. No residual color on corner so I don't think the color shading correction is needed.

BTW, nothing prevent Fuji from including the profile/correction in the firmware without requiring the use of the official adapter. $200 for the ability to store profile is a bit steep.

David, there is something I do not understand, in the attached screenshot from the LR4 import panel it is pretty much evident the effect on the DNG's of the exaggerated color shade correction, for instance on 010417 the reds were forced on the four corners and on the 0010422 the reds were forced on the upper left corner only. In either case the ooc jpg seems to override the corrections I have forced and LR4 is doing the same after import.
For the peripherical illumination this does not happen, see 0010416, neither in the ooc jpg nor in LR.
[/url]
Ricoh Color Shade di Ario Arioldi, su Flickr[/IMG]

Braeside

Is the LR import panel perhaps showing embedded JPGs in the Raw?

For my tests, I shot two Raw + JPG sets, one with a corner colour shading correction +4 Red the other -4 Red and the resulting DNG files looked the same, while the JPG looked different from each other. (In Aperture or Preview app).

Same type of test with Peripheral Illumination, the Raw files did differ from each other, as indeed did the JPG.

Is the LR import panel perhaps showing embedded JPGs in the Raw?
Probably yes, but than the raw file sent out of the camera is different from the one that has generated that thumbnail, and also the jpg seems not to consider the color shade corrections.
I will send an e-mail to Ricoh, may they will be willing to explain.

Braeside

Probably yes, but than the raw file sent out of the camera is different from the one that has generated that thumbnail, and also the jpg seems not to consider the color shade corrections.
I will send an e-mail to Ricoh, may they will be willing to explain.
You have sort of lost me now, sorry! - Anyway let's see what Ricoh have to say, that will be interesting.

Going back to Fuji, interesting Adorama claim to have them, yet the new firmware isn't out till June.

monza

Interesting that they did not mention focus assists. It would be a waste to offer OVF frame lines without such...

Gbealnz

The adaptor doesn't really interest me, but the old fashioned side of me says, why not support the companies that make this forum survive, Amazon, or B&H for example.
Gary