The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Firmware 1.10 for X-Pro 1

Braeside

Download from here

Don't get too excited though! - It is really only to support the Fuji M adaptor.

Warning it RESETS everything in the camera to defaults, the user memories, date, time the LOT!

One more step towards the decision to sell my X1-Pro, I will just wait some more time to see if a decent raw converter will become available.

Braeside

Hi Ario,

So what are you thinking about as a replacement for your X-Pro 1? OM-D ? NEX?

I am pretty sure given the history of firmware updates for the X100, that the X-Pro 1 will also be improved in the necessary areas (minimum shutter speed for Auto ISO being my prime complaint). Whether they can improve the AF speed I don't know, but for my needs it is fine.

I am hanging on to my Ricoh GXR for MF lenses, and have sold my DSLR (A900) and will sell all the Sony Alpha lenses and accessories as well now.

I long for Apple Aperture support of X-Pro raw, as that is my normal workflow.

Have Lightroom 4 now, but only use it when necessary, though I must admit the chromatic aberration and colour de-fringing tools are nice, as is the camera colour calibration. Whether Apple will add this in Aperture 4 I don't know, but it would be super.

Software is a bit like cameras, you like parts from one and parts from another.

Played a bit with the demo of Alien Skin Exposure 4 film simulations yesterday, however I can't see me paying for the full version, too expensive for me. I found that adding some grain in LR4 gave me the effects I wanted on some files (takes away a bit of the digital plastic feeling to the photos).

Cheers

dhsimmonds

One more step towards the decision to sell my X1-Pro, I will just wait some more time to see if a decent raw converter will become available.
It is only a matter of time IMHO. In the meantime Adobe Raw in CS6 does a pretty good job and makes workflow nice and easy. Quite frankly the OOC jpegs are so good that I find myself using them 95% of the time for both printing and web work! :D

Hi Ario,

So what are you thinking about as a replacement for your X-Pro 1? OM-D ? NEX?

I am pretty sure given the history of firmware updates for the X100, that the X-Pro 1 will also be improved in the necessary areas (minimum shutter speed for Auto ISO being my prime complaint). Whether they can improve the AF speed I don't know, but for my needs it is fine.

I am hanging on to my Ricoh GXR for MF lenses, and have sold my DSLR (A900) and will sell all the Sony Alpha lenses and accessories as well now.

I long for Apple Aperture support of X-Pro raw, as that is my normal workflow.

Have Lightroom 4 now, but only use it when necessary, though I must admit the chromatic aberration and colour de-fringing tools are nice, as is the camera colour calibration. Whether Apple will add this in Aperture 4 I don't know, but it would be super.

Software is a bit like cameras, you like parts from one and parts from another.

Played a bit with the demo of Alien Skin Exposure 4 film simulations yesterday, however I can't see me paying for the full version, too expensive for me. I found that adding some grain in LR4 gave me the effects I wanted on some files (takes away a bit of the digital plastic feeling to the photos).

Cheers
Hi David,
I have already an OM-D and honestly I find it superior to the Fuij in almost every aspect, related to my needs of course.
Much better AF, much larger choice of lenses in particular on the wide side, much easier to use in MF also without focus peaking thanks to the higher refresh rate and to the image stabilization, better raw support which does not force me to go through a complex workflow to achieve decent result.
I never considered, so far, the Nex mainly for an aesthetic reasons and for the size of the Sony lenses, and I think that at present with the Ricoh GXR, the OM-D and the Leica M9 I can easily cover all my needs.
The X1-Pro was intriguing me for its aspect resembling a RF camera , for the RF style framelines which I like a lot in spite of the less than perfect precision and for the almost menù-free operability.
Image quality is very high in any case, I would say even exceeding my needs, so it is not an import element when making the choice, certainly less important than the ergonomic aspects I mentioned above.
Cheers

Braeside

Thanks Ario. I'll perhaps consider the OM-D as the replacement for my DSLR, as it would cover the long and wide end and also give me IBIS which I miss. I love the X-Pro 1 despite its quirks, and I really like the small GXR with my MF RF lenses.

Just been looking out all the Sony DSLR lenses, flashes etc for sale. I had forgotten how much stuff I had!

Dave: Agree on the OOC JPEGs they are perfectly fine for my needs as well.

It is only a matter of time IMHO. In the meantime Adobe Raw in CS6 does a pretty good job and makes workflow nice and easy. Quite frankly the OOC jpegs are so good that I find myself using them 95% of the time for both printing and web work! :D
With utmost respect for your opinion, having compared all the converters providing at the moment support for the Fuji files, including the beta's and Photo Raw (for iOS), i believe the ACR/LR4 are in term of quality the worst.
This for me is really a pity because LR is since ever my main tool, the one I like more and the one I know better.
I am convinced that there is a solution better than the present one, but I do not know if Adobe (and Apple and Capture One) are willing to spend time and money to support a sensor which requires different demosaicing algorithms and which is not granted to have a future.
It is not the first time that Fuji has tried to launch an unconventional CFA and I would say that the past experiences were not very successful.
I will keep my fingers crossed, anyhow :)

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I was actually going through a number of considerations many describe here. I had the X Pro 1 already on order, but as deliveries here in Austria were quite slow, I finally got the OMD instead and this was originally against my initial way of thinking, because I did not want to reenter m43 again and also was very amazed with the high IQ of the Fuji.

Anyway, since then I have really started to love the OMD, this is a totally different beast compared to all the other m43 models (oly and Pana) on the market. For me this became meanwhile my preferred camera and I have it always with me because IQ is outstanding, AF is accurate and fast, MF is nice to use and once the camera is properly configured changing modes is not any problem for me. Can all still be improved (as always) but so far Oly really hit the nail with that camera. Plus RAW support is fully available in LR, C1, Aperture etc.

Now back to Fuji. While a lovely camera it still has a number of flaws, which may be not considered as flaws by many, but for me they are exclusive - slow AF, no real lens lineup, slow support WRT FW and RAW converters and a very closed and pretty expensive system so far. I do hope this will evolve further and become a real system, but for the moment it is not this for me and especially not a replacement for a DSLR -- while the OMD turned out to be a really serious DSLR replacement.

So currently even considering to cancel my D800E order, as this one still not arrived (again delivery in Austria) and I am kind of not so keen anymore to run into all the issues with that high res sensor and basically not so capable lenses.

Anyway I can support the idea for the OMD very much!

Paratom

Also owning (and liking) the omd but I I still find the x-pro 1 a very tempting camera.
If I didnt have a M9 I would have one of those Fujis allready.
I am still surprized that this 2 cameras are considered as alternatives so often.
I find it interesting to compare IQ but the cameras seem so different to me that it is really more about...
- OVF vs EVF
- more "reduced"/simple approach (includes classical user interface, f-stop ring etc) with few classic fast high quality focal length (28/50/90mm FOV) vs as system with more choices from very wide to very long (but still no fast AF lens which gives the same shallow DOF like the Fuji 35/1.4)
- The Fuji has a new approach to get rid of this AA filter - so I IMO we should give them some credit/time for software to be optimized
-AF of the Fuji of much slower than the Oly but then from my x100 experience I would expect it still ok for many things. (I would say that one is a little faster with the Fuji AF compared to a rangefinder)