The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica 75 Lux what a lens when you nail it

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
okay it's a bear to focus and the frame lines suck with it . And it is big the biggest in the M line but when you get one that look just can't be beat. Just shot this 10 minutes ago with a little fill flash from the Metz 54 at f4 and bam, Winner. Makes it real hard to sell when you get the goods

woodyspedden

I have to say Guy that if I could only have one lens for the M8, silly as it may seem considering the tele FOV, it would be the 75 lux. I learned to love it when I borrowed yours in Germany just to experiment and then I bought a mint one as soon as I came home. I have so many wonderul images of my family, especially my grandchildren, using this lens that I couldn't imagine being without it.

Love the 28, 15 R Elmarit etc but the one I keep on my black body is the 75 lux. I guess it captures the world as I see it better than all the others. I had the Cron for a while but with a few steps backwards I like the 90 APO/ASPH better. I have no experience with the Summarits but based on the article in the latest issue of LFI I wouldn't trade the Lux. If I didn't already own a 75 I would probably evaluate all of these before buying.

Just thoughts about my experiences and what I consider important.

Hope everyone can enjoy some of the constituents of the photo taken from th e Tunnel Overlook using the M8 and 75 Lux at I believe about 5.6, at about 14 minutes past the setting of the sun. Guy and Jack arranged with God for all of us to have this opportunity on the first real day of our Yosemite workshop. Loved all of the experiences guys. I am certainly a better image maker as a result of our time together

Plus I have seen your wonderful Lux images and I just wish I could get to where you are with this lens. You really know how to "NAIL" the focus.

Best

Woody

Last edited:

David K

Workshop Member
Woody,
Beautiful image... really spectacular light.

Guy,
Lovely shots.

You guys are making me think I made a mistake in selling my lux and keeping the cron :(

W

workingcamera

It is certainly one of my favourate lenses

A film job- Fuji 160S rated at ISO 100

W

workingcamera

Ok I used the the BB code link in the Gallery area... how come it posts up so small?

Guy Mancuso

If you click on it it shows the gallery. if you want it in a post big like i did than hit mange attachments and load that way. Several ways to post here

W

workingcamera

Cheers Guy … I’m totally incompetent when it comes to web posting … I’ll get there

R

roberth

the one thing I noticed when using the 75 was that the framelines were so wrong, I'm glad it was not just me seeing this problem.

Guy Mancuso

Well the one beauty of digital is the LCD screen you know what you are at least getting and can change it. When i use the 75 i just crop inside of what i want and it seems to give me what i want . My bet is though the M9 when it comes will be electronic frame lines for the lens you have on and accurate. time to move on a little here for Leica

Terry

the one thing I noticed when using the 75 was that the framelines were so wrong, I'm glad it was not just me seeing this problem.
When I first started with the 75 it would take me 3 tries sometimes to keep unwanted things out of the corners and to get heads in the right spot. Since it was essentially one first lenses (35 and 75) I bought for my first rangefinder I was feeling pretty inept :D...OK I still feel inept a lot of the time but at least now I know it isn't always completely my fault!

terry

Guy Mancuso

Cheers Guy … I’m totally incompetent when it comes to web posting … I’ll get there
Look right below this post to the left see New reply use that than manage attachments will be below the text box than click on that than a dialogue box pops up than upload file hit that than find your image than hit upload . wait for that to happen than hit reply . Try it you will love it

Guy Mancuso

When I first started with the 75 it would take me 3 tries sometimes to keep unwanted things out of the corners and to get heads in the right spot. Since it was essentially one first lenses (35 and 75) I bought for my first rangefinder I was feeling pretty inept :D...OK I still feel inept a lot of the time but at least now I know it isn't always completely my fault!

terry
It really comes with shooting it Terry and knowing each lens you have well and what it will do. i will help you with this in Moab

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Ok I used the the BB code link in the Gallery area... how come it posts up so small?
You did great! click on it and you go to the fulll image. If you want to put it in the thread full size, attach it like Guy said or use the "direct code link" and insert it using the picture icon in the post menu and you get this:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Well I can only say this about that: They still make the 75 Cron, but they aren't making the 75 Lux anymore... :shocked:

vieri

A fantastic lens indeed, one of my favorites on the M8:

is good for candids:

...portraits:

...low light concerts:

you name it! :D

W

workingcamera

Thanks Jack

Yeah the Lux is certainly not the easiest M lens to get used to using in contrast to its big sister the 80-R is a dream combo on the R8/9.

I consider myself fortunate to have the 75 Lux though and believe there is still room in the lens line up for such a lens.

I found it very useful for theatre etc.