The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji X mount lens announcements (June 2012)

pophoto

It's good to see Fuji offering more fast primes. With the exception of dslrs (f2.8) and perhaps older 4/3 from Olympus, offering zooms with f/2.0, I think it an expense decision to stop Fuji going that road, which is shame but understandable.

Last edited:

ashwinrao1

sweeeeeetttt!
Now, we just need an 85 mm f/2, to give us a 35/85/135 set...otherwise, we are really set...equiv 85 mm f/1.4, fast 35, and nice wide, as well as zoom options... A nice, clean, and robust lens set...Now, just get that AF a bit snappier, please LOL

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Hubba hubba - there's a space in my camera bag right now for that 14mm.

Actually I don't think that this is necessarily much of a surprise as my Fuji rep pretty much showed this slide a couple of months ago at a dealer Fuji event ... But nice to know that it's "official" and public. :thumbs:

Now the question is can I justify a second X-Pro1 with that pancake lens on it? ;)

biglouis

I'm disappointed to see the 23/1.4 put off until 2013. It puts me off considering this system as I really don't want to spend money on a 18/2 just to get wide angle and the 14/2.8 may be too wide.

LouisB

retow

I'm disappointed to see the 23/1.4 put off until 2013. It puts me off considering this system as I really don't want to spend money on a 18/2 just to get wide angle and the 14/2.8 may be too wide.

LouisB
How many years does mft exist and what do they offer in terms of 35mm equivalent and f1,4, again?

GrahamWelland

LouisB
You know that the marketing folks are probably planning this to protect X100 sales ...

Terry

I think the 5 lens lineup they've come out with in year one is pretty darn good.

21, 28, 52, 91, 18-55

Shashin

I really don't understand the gripes? Look at the new 23mm. It is simply not the X100 lens, it is a stop faster. They have added optical image stabilization to the zooms. It is a really good thought out lens release. By the end of the first year, Fuji will have eight lenses out.

When Leica came up with a new camera system like the S2, how long did it take to have eight lenses available. How many M lenses come out every year?

GrahamWelland

I suspect that the Nikon V1/J1 folks are gnashing their teeth in envy of the lens line up and forthcoming availability too.

Terry

I really don't understand the gripes? Look at the new 23mm. It is simply not the X100 lens, it is a stop faster. They have added optical image stabilization to the zooms. It is a really good thought out lens release. By the end of the first year, Fuji will have eight lenses out.

When Leica came up with a new camera system like the S2, how long did it take to have eight lenses available. How many M lenses come out every year?
Well said.

dhsimmonds

You know that the marketing folks are probably planning this to protect X100 sales ...
Well worth the wait IMHO. A 23/1.4 at XP1 resolution versus 23/2.0 at X100 resolution (the X100 is no slouch either) is a no contest for me, but then I already have an X100.

Much to my own surprise, I am really enjoying using the 18./2.0 on the XP1, it's AF is the fastest of all the lenses but none of them are slower than most experienced rangefinder user's can MF! The FOV is surprisingly useful for so many subjects too. So much so that my X100 is sulking unused since I acquired the XF18. :shocked:

Shashin

Fuji may even keep the X100 or similar fixed-lens camera going to give a choice for those that cannot afford an X-Pro1. I don't see it as an either/or situation. The Japanese have a history of offering high-end fixed lens cameras and doing very well with them, especially with companies the size of Fuji.

Terry

Fuji may even keep the X100 or similar fixed-lens camera going to give a choice for those that cannot afford an X-Pro1. I don't see it as an either/or situation. The Japanese have a history of offering high-end fixed lens cameras and doing very well with them, especially with companies the size of Fuji.
If Fuji made a fixed lens 50mm f1.4 (equiv) version of the of the X100 I would probably own it in addition to the X-pro1. There are aspects of the X100 that are quite nice. With the leaf shutter you can go silent, the built in ND filter is extremely useful, the size is really perfect......

......just 35mm is not my favorite focal length. :( (which is my problem not Fuji's)

douglasf13

Fuji had better keep the X100 line going. It is smaller, has a leaf shutter, has a built-in ND, and the sensor doesn't have issues with watercoloring because of the X-P1's unusual CFA. I love my X100, but, for those reasons, I currently am not interested in the X-P1.

I think we'll be in for a surprise when we see actual photos of the 23/1.4's size. The f2 23mm lens in the X100 isn't exactly tiny, but, because it is a fixed lens camera, Fuji is able to put most of the lens elements in the camera body itself. Actual size of the X100's 23/2 lens:

jonoslack

If Fuji made a fixed lens 50mm f1.4 (equiv) version of the of the X100 I would probably own it in addition to the X-pro1. There are aspects of the X100 that are quite nice. With the leaf shutter you can go silent, the built in ND filter is extremely useful, the size is really perfect......

......just 35mm is not my favorite focal length. :( (which is my problem not Fuji's)
HI Terry
My sentiments exactly - I'm not really interested in the X1-pro - although I do think this lens roadmap looks excellent (as long as they keep close to it). The primes look fab (the zooms a bit blah, but I guess it depends on the IS). My M9 does decent service for primes generally.

but a 50mm equivalent X105 with good close focus would be hard to resist (at least, after the price had halved, as it has now for the X100 in the UK).

douglasf13

HI Terry
My sentiments exactly - I'm not really interested in the X1-pro - although I do think this lens roadmap looks excellent (as long as they keep close to it). The primes look fab (the zooms a bit blah, but I guess it depends on the IS). My M9 does decent service for primes generally.

but a 50mm equivalent X105 with good close focus would be hard to resist (at least, after the price had halved, as it has now for the X100 in the UK).
I've always been a 50mm-ish shooter, too, but I finally broke down and bought an X100. I'm starting to get used to 35mm equiv., and it's been fun to have such a different vision. I'd love an X105 like you mention, though.