The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LUMIX G5

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It seems to have a larger grip, which in my view is good. If that means yet another battery... :loco:

The 16MP sensor is already good, and if this is a tweaked version with more powerful processing, it's a lot of camera for what will probably be $6-700. Interesting supplement to the OM-D and GH3.

kwalsh

The G3 has been one of the very best m43 values for awhile now (not that I own one, I'm the sucker marketers love who will pay a lot for little marginal benefit so I went the GH2 followed by the E-M5 route). I'm not sure they needed to do that much to the G5 as the G3 was already a solid performer. I don't think a new sensor was in the cards either, the 16MP in the G3/GX1 is already very good and based on comments made by Panasonic some years ago they typically need to get pretty high volumes from a given design to keep the lower end bodies economical.

I suppose perhaps the biggest news is that if an only marginally improved G5 is coming out that might make the G3 prices even lower which will make the G3 even a better value than it already is.

Ken

Annna T

The G3 has been one of the very best m43 values for awhile now (not that I own one, I'm the sucker marketers love who will pay a lot for little marginal benefit so I went the GH2 followed by the E-M5 route). I'm not sure they needed to do that much to the G5 as the G3 was already a solid performer. I don't think a new sensor was in the cards either, the 16MP in the G3/GX1 is already very good and based on comments made by Panasonic some years ago they typically need to get pretty high volumes from a given design to keep the lower end bodies economical.

I suppose perhaps the biggest news is that if an only marginally improved G5 is coming out that might make the G3 prices even lower which will make the G3 even a better value than it already is.

Ken
I never really liked the G3s. I think they had some serious design flaws : the worst being the positioning of the Fn buttons, play button and Qmenu buttons. Also, the hand grip really wasn't good. Looking at the back of the G5 I do really like the position of the Fn and QMenu buttons and the thumb rest. The grip seems better designed too. As for the rest, same sensor as the G3 and GX1; I don't think you can do miracles with that. But the new processor may finally allows a faster clearing of the buffer ?

Anyway, I got an E-P3 some months after the G3, because I do really prefer the handling of the Pens over that of the G3. Getting the E-P3 after the G3, I was afraid that i would rarely use the E-P3, since its sensor is not as good, but it turned out to be the reverse, I'm using the E-P3 more than the G3, because I prefer the shooting experience.

So the G5 apparently may take care of the less than ideal handholding. But since I've now ordered an E-M5, I don't care for the small improvements announced on the G5.

kwalsh

I never really liked the G3s. I think they had some serious design flaws : the worst being the positioning of the Fn buttons, play button and Qmenu buttons. Also, the hand grip really wasn't good.

So the G5 apparently may take care of the less than ideal handholding.
That's a good point. Having not shot the G3 myself I can't comment on the handling issues, but that can be a make or break kind of thing for a camera. So if the G5 is just a better handling G3 that could be a big improvement itself. I have read people annoyed by G3 handling but not thrilled about having to go up to the GH2 to resolve the problem.

Ken

biglouis

Hmmm.

Will have to wait for the real details. This is not an OMD killer. What about weather sealing? A decent grip? I've never been a fan of the way the screen folds out on the GH-2. I was hoping they would adopt the style on the OMD.

I was trying to stay loyal to the Panasonic camp but unless this is a really good camera I think I may finally give in and get the OMD.

LouisB

kwalsh

I really don't think anyone should be comparing the G5 and the E-M5. The G5 is a mid-range model, the E-M5 top of the range. Street price is going to be a factor of two different between them. Something like the G5 is competing with the Pen line.

If you want to "stay loyal" I'd wait for the GH3. If something is going to be weather sealed (to go along with the 12-35) that is the camera that is most likely to do it.

I do, however, very much doubt they'll move away from the current G/GH articulating implementation. They each have their advantages depending on how you shoot. I'm undecided as to preference at this point (shot G1/GH2 before, and E-M5 now).

Ken

Terry

Hmmm.

Will have to wait for the real details. This is not an OMD killer. What about weather sealing? A decent grip? I've never been a fan of the way the screen folds out on the GH-2. I was hoping they would adopt the style on the OMD.

I was trying to stay loyal to the Panasonic camp but unless this is a really good camera I think I may finally give in and get the OMD.

LouisB
It will still be half the price of the OMD. There was mention of being able to keep both the LCD and EVF active at the same time. I wonder what that will mean in terms of customizing your views.

biglouis

Ken and Terry

I hope you are right about the GH-3 - another wait and see - hopefully by Photokina.

LouisB

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Video has improved to 1080 60p and continuous shooting to 6 fps. If the buffer size has also improved, this has become a very competent little camera and at the same price as an advanced p&s.

Diane B

And I'm keeping my G3 as second body to my EM5. Do need to get rid of my G1 and GF1 though LOL.

I actually liked the ergonomics of the G3. Just right grip for me, Fn 2 was better for AEL/AFL than the one at top of back for G1 and GF1 for me. I use Fn 1 for preview (MF lenses mostly) so didn't use as much and being flush I had to get used to it. I shot with G3 for over a year and got along well with it. I admit with the EM5 I do rather miss the flip out LCD a bit. BUT I am really liking it overall and glad I decided to bite the bullet and just buy it when I found a black and silver locally and had a choice and also could actually handle it (first time I've ever handled a cam before I ordered or bought it since I went digital many many years ago LOL)

Diane
The G3 has been one of the very best m43 values for awhile now

Ken

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Sensational news: The G5 seems to use the same battery as the GH2.
Fine, I thought, then I could buy a G5 and a GH2 and have two cameras that use the same memory cards, the same lenses and the same battery. That would be a first for me after owning... 8 digital interchangeable lens cameras that all use different batteries (and chargers), except two of the Nikons, but they use different memory cards.

So I went to the website of my favourite pusher to check the price of the GH2, and the price is... it's not there anymore! Gone, invisible, disappeared from the face of the earth :wtf:

Anybody taking bets that the GH3 will have a brand new, totally incompatible battery?

jonoslack

I shot with G3 for over a year and got along well with it. I admit with the EM5 I do rather miss the flip out LCD a bit. BUT I am really liking it overall and glad I decided to bite the bullet and just buy it when I found a black and silver locally and had a choice and also could actually handle it (first time I've ever handled a cam before I ordered or bought it since I went digital many many years ago LOL)

Diane
HI Diane
Congratulations but . . . . I wait with baited breath . . . which did you choose?
Silver or Black?

Diane B

Hi Jono,

Well all along I was sure I wanted the black. Had I bought it online that's what I would have bought. He brought the silver out first and I handled it and asked to see the black, even told him I expected that's what I would likely buy. But--I had both in hands, kept shooting, even asked to see the Fuji XPro1 and said not for me. I would lay the silver down and pick up the black--and yet--I could just feel the silver calling to me LOL. So--it was silver in the end. Love it.

I've gotten past the menu issues now I think LOL. and shooting is starting to feel comfortable and I love the images--and so much control while shooting. Its a lovely camera and I'm glad I decided to go ahead and get it before Photokina. I really don't think anything is going to appear that will make me sorry.

Diane

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
No problems finding a GH2 ordering from another country. The problem is when it stops working. With the terrible build quality of most Panasonic cameras and their hopeless customer service, I need all the support I can get from my local dealer. And how can I sit down at his shop, drinking his coffee and have a chat if I buy my gear elsewhere, particularly when his prices are the best anyway?

I just got my GH1 back from repair a couple of days ago. It must be some kind of anti-express service, only 5 months, but at least it was free :)

So the solution is probably to buy the OM-D, if they ever get the body-only to this country, and keep the GH1 for backup. I'm in no hurry. I have more than enough cameras, and most of them work :)

Knorp

HI Diane
Congratulations but . . . . I wait with baited breath . . . which did you choose?
Silver or Black?
I know it , you know it, we all know it: ... you want the silver.
And with the 75 it'll look just smashing ... :p
:chug:

All the best.

Diane B

Well, I guess we should ask Jono which he chose?? Maybe he said previously but if he did--I missed it LOL. (And no 75 for me--not a FL that I shoot with much but I have added the Panasonic 12-35 to my wish list).