The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

An "average user" perspective on the Panasonic G1

A

asabet

I thought it might be interesting to hear an "average user" perspective on the G1. My dad, who shoots JPEG and doesn't pixel peep at all, just received his Panasonic G1 yesterday. He ordered blue, but Panasonic sent him a red one. These were his impressions:

- Likes the red color - was happy Amazon sent the wrong color to him :)
- Really likes the overall design, both in terms of looks and layout
- Thought the indoor, low light ISO 1600 JPEGs looked great viewed full screen in iPhoto on a 20" iMac. He had been concerned that this would not be the case.
- Found the EVF to be detailed, bright, and clear while shooting indoors last night
- Felt that the AF was very fast

I am very tempted to get one myself, especially given the opportunity to buy one for $600 shipped (!) after Microsoft cashback on Ebay. However, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't use it much until the 20mm pancake arrived, so I'll hold off in case a preferable camera body is introduced before that lens comes out.

Last edited:

jonoslack

Hi Amin
I think we're pretty much in the same position here - Your father's impressions are valuable though.

My trouble is simply deciding when I would use it. Mind you, we're going skiing at Christmas time with the family, and THAT might be the impetus to get one.

nostatic

Since my discretionary income is limited these days, I have to ask myself, "what problem am I solving?" (other than GAS). I am very happy with my new DLux4, and am finding that for a P&S it has ridiculously good low light performance. The only weakness is when I need a longer lens. If I need a higher quality file, I grab my K20d and the right lens. At this point I can't really rationalize yet another camera/system. I could perhaps talk my self into another prime or two for the Pentax. Seems that in my case the K20d should give a better file than the G1, and the glass is likely better (Pentax ltd primes).

helenhill

Since my discretionary income is limited these days, I have to ask myself, "what problem am I solving?" (other than GAS). I am very happy with my new DLux4, and am finding that for a P&S it has ridiculously good low light performance. The only weakness is when I need a longer lens. If I need a higher quality file, I grab my K20d and the right lens. At this point I can't really rationalize yet another camera/system. I could perhaps talk my self into another prime or two for the Pentax. Seems that in my case the K20d should give a better file than the G1, and the glass is likely better (Pentax ltd primes).
I quite agree
"what Problem am I Solving" theory
At present I am down to TWO cameras
an M4 w/ two lenses a 50 lux & a 35 elmar
& my Rd1 (whih sometimesi think I could give up EASILY for a small compact
I lust for a small compact / either the soon sigma DP2 or an old GX100 or theDLUX4 which you have me CURIOUS about
BUT will keep myself on a Leash & be HAPPY with what I have...:rolleyes:

AS for the G! / I don't like the way it looks ...rather unattractive so YES my superficial Girly side could not be out & about with it :ROTFL:

BTW LUV your new avatar 'Nostatic'
Best to You-H

V

Vivek

Nostatic and Helen. You aren't missing anything by not buying the G1.

You are missing something BIG if you (own them) are interested in using a whole bunch of small fast primes (Leica and others).

At least that has been my interest and after using the camera, I am glad that I had "justifiable" expectations.;)

So far, the G1 has exceeded all my initial expectations!

nostatic

The only fast primes I have are my couple of Pentax ones, so the G1 doesn't have that pull. If I had a bunch of Leica glass around it might be a different story.

As for the DLux4, so far I'm *really* impressed. These were shot in the dead of night at Venice Beach, CA. No P&S should be able to deal with these types of conditions...these are in-camera jpg, no pp tweak.