The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus 43 glass can cover bigger frame

nugat

Lloyd Chambers (digllloyd) in his tests says Olympus glass cannot cover a frame bigger than 4/3 image circle. There were some rumors Olympus would build a larger than 4/3 frame camera (E7?)

diglloyd.com/blog/2012/20121019_1-Olympus-SHG-coverage.html

I would like to know how Mr Chambers mounted the 14-35 Zuiko on his D800 and where do those baffles (rectangular shades limiting the image circle) come from.

I built a simple camera obscura (box , tape, sheet of paper), set the Zuiko to the same parameters (25mm, infinity focus) and took some pictures of the image projected on my paper screen (under a blanket).

No baffles. The image circle I got is ca 32 mm. Enough to cover the APS-C frame.
I did not measure how the diameter changes with the focal length.

Last edited:

georgl

There are various parameters to determine or define the image circle. The most extreme is physical vignetting, but quite often the practical limitation kicks in earlier (at a lower image height) and is determined by MTF (how much contrast does the lens render at a given frequency).
Quite often the image circle increases with closer focus and is usually larger with longer focal lengths within a set a lenses.
So it might be possible to use 43-lenses with an APS-C-sized sensor but not with every lens, at all apertures and at infinity and especially not when seeking a high IQ in outer image zones.

Riley

I grabbed this photo years ago from someone using an Olympus 43 kit lens mounted (as best as could be) on a Pentax 1.5x sensor camera. The lens had to be pre-focussed on a 43 body, and the aperture is of course wide open.

Jay Turberville once tried an assortment of 43 lenses doing something like what nugat is doing. He found the 50/2 to have an image circle closer to 40mm

where do those baffles (rectangular shades limiting the image circle) come from.
What that digllloyd "blogger" did not do is - he did not bother to show what is inside the lens from its rear end... actually here it is... hopefully that answer your question (and then there is something that can be removed :toocool:)

nugat

How do you get to see those baffles on a lens that is not mounted on the camera?
I cannot see anything like that from the back when freeholding the lens and they do not project onto my camera-obscura paper screen. My lens is bought new in 2010, #180004265
Effectively I get the image circle 32mm at 25mm/infinity. Whereas diglloyd measures (how?) 23mm diameter at f-length 35mm with the baffles projecting.
I also measured now the image circle dia. at 14mm and 35 mm f-lengths.
It is ca 28mm at the former and ca 30mm at the latter. So it seems that the 25mm f-length offers the biggest diameter of the light patch.
It seems that this particular 4/3 lens (Zuiko SHG 14-35mm) can cover the canon APS-C (26,7mm dia ) and with some difficulty at the wider end other manufacturers' sensors (28.2-28.4mm dia). Of course the question is what happens with MTFs once the distance from the center exceeds 21.6mm (43 standard).

What that digllloyd "blogger" did not do is - he did not bother to show what is inside the lens from its rear end... actually here it is... hopefully that answer your question (and then there is something that can be removed :toocool:)

Riley

another post has been made after he checked
diglloyd.com blog - Olympus SHG 14-35mm f/2 ED ? Does It ?Cover? more than a Four Thirds/MFT Sensor? (Updated, Camera Obscura)
he suggests it still wont cover APSC at 28.2 mm (which is 1.5x)

the item Ive been pushing for years now is a larger 43rds,
the so called Super 43rds which is a 20x15mm sensor for 300sq mm on 25mm diagonal. This is within the patent draft.
This would of course mean all our lenses would be a little wider, 7mm would become 10.6mm EFL instead of 14mm
and with an EV of 1.526 ever so slightly better DoF control, or a half stop

also this would differentiate SLRs from micro,
without a point of difference there is no reason for 43rds to exist.

Riley

which is not 1.5x only... Canon APS-C is 1.6x... Sigma APS-C (pre SD1) is 1.7x... hence mythical m43/43 APS-C sensor could be less than 1.5x and still be APS-C.
indeed
Canon APSC 26.68mm, 327 sq mm 3x2
Sigma APSC 24.8783mm, 285 sq mm 3x2
S43 25mm, 300 sq mm 4x3

nugat

I'll quote parts of my last post from 43rumors:
"...
What Sony/Olympus could do is to pick up the standard Sony APS-C sensor 23,5 x 15.6 mm (diagonal/image circle diameter 28.2mm). Establish the new format (“FTmax”?) image circle at somewhere 26mm. Note that Canon’s APS-C image circle is 26.2mm. Within that image circle three “native”* ratios could be achieved: 4:3, 3:2 and 16:9. The last one especially attractive to film makers. Having a true super35mm frame on the FTmax would be a unique sellinig point to the film crowd.
That way the E7 could be a nice APS-C/FTmax/super35 camera utilizing the existing Zuiko SHG glass. The interesting part is how the MTFs would change from the current 10.8mm limiting distance from the image field center.
Adding another 2.2 mm each way of the diagonal might see some deterioration, but given the currently near-perfect MTF, the performance could be still better than that from any APS-C system.
As a side note for the filmamkers I once compared the performance of the Zuiko 14-35 with that of a pro film glass (Angenieux Optimo ) on the panasonic Af100. Olympus won.
*”native” that is not cropped from one 4:3 ratio sensor. The same way the oversized sensor of Panasonic GH2 can deliver three frames of the same diagonal but different ratios..."

Good Mr Chambers checked his first findings and used the camera obscura method. His diameters are within the error range (+/- 1mm) either of us could have made.
I still don't know how he mounted his Zuiko on D800 and where did he get the baffles' shadow from---the first time. Note that in his camera obscura pics the baffles are gone too.

Riley

Super35 is highly desirable, thanks for reminding me

tell me, what we are looking at is wide open, but as we close the aperture what happens then? Is it possible that closing down a half stop would put us back in the same positions (edges and corners) as with regular 43rds?

Also, with increased sensor height the MTF would ordinarily increase

nugat

Super35 is highly desirable, thanks for reminding me

tell me, what we are looking at is wide open, but as we close the aperture what happens then? Is it possible that closing down a half stop would put us back in the same positions (edges and corners) as with regular 43rds?

Also, with increased sensor height the MTF would ordinarily increase
I checked what happens with the image circle on my 35 mm summilux-M as the aperture closes. Basically the size stays the same, except the narrow circular band of light fall-off , sharpens up in the middle. The boundaries of the image circle become more defined, somwhere in the middle of this twilight circle.
I don't have any manual 43 lenses to check for that format.
I would think that stopping down normally increases the image circle.

Riley

I think it infeasible that a lens would be designed with no tolerance at its image circle edges, and that within reason, stopping it down would resolve whatever issues there were.

V

Vivek

I would think that stopping down normally increases the image circle.
Not in the case of 4/3rds lenses, especially because of the telecentricity touted by Olympus.

Either they (4/3rds lenses) are telecentric and therefore will not cover more area when stopped down or they cover more than the Olympus 4/3rds area and are not telecentric.

One can not have both.

jnewell

Haven't experimented with m4/3 lenses, but I can tell you that various DX Nikkors throw wildly different image circles. Some zooms I've tried will cover a full FX sensor at some focal lengths and others don't even come close. I bet the m4/3 lenses are all over the place on this as well.

Not in the case of 4/3rds lenses, especially because of the telecentricity touted by Olympus.

Either they (4/3rds lenses) are telecentric and therefore will not cover more area when stopped down or they cover more than the Olympus 4/3rds area and are not telecentric.

One can not have both.
except that "telecentric" does not mean exactly 90 degrees... it pretty much might be simply absence of the extreme angles as was not an issue w/ film cameras.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
nugat wrote:

What Sony/Olympus could do is to pick up the standard Sony APS-C sensor 23,5 x 15.6 mm (diagonal/image circle diameter 28.2mm). Establish the new format (“FTmax”?) image circle at somewhere 26mm. Note that Canon’s APS-C image circle is 26.2mm. Within that image circle three “native”* ratios could be achieved: 4:3, 3:2 and 16:9.
A brilliant idea, really; especially the 'native' ratios (including 1:1).

Riley

even with a diagonal of 26mm,
thats a sensor 20.8 x 15.6, 324.48 sqmm in 4x3 terms
virtually 1 to 1 with Canon APSC

hopefully Sony wont languish on a decision and get it rolling

juts tried placing 43 lenses over my 5D mount to see what I would get

Zuiko 7-14 at 7mm

Zuiko 7-14 at 14mm

Zuiko 11-22

Zuiko 9-18

Last edited:

nugat

Riley, guys,
These are not any baffles inside the lens that project the weird rectangular shape onto the image circle.
This is the lens hood (shade).
Take off the plastic to see the full image circle projected by the Zuiko.
That was what diglloyd had on during his first test too.
The shade limits the lit area severely, especially at the wide end.

even with a diagonal of 26mm,
thats a sensor 20.8 x 15.6, 324.48 sqmm in 4x3 terms
virtually 1 to 1 with Canon APSC

hopefully Sony wont languish on a decision and get it rolling

juts tried placing 43 lenses over my 5D mount to see what I would get

Zuiko 7-14 at 7mm

Zuiko 7-14 at 14mm

Zuiko 11-22

Zuiko 9-18

Riley

7-14/4 SHG shade is integral, not removable from the lens
but zooming is such that even at 8mm the frame size is very large, beyond APSC