The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Printers

Reynolds

Workshop Member
I need all advice on this. I have been printing with an HP Photosmart. Does a pretty good job. What are your thoughts on printers capable of producing 11x14 max? Actually, probably 90% in 8x12.

Epson? What model? or stick with HP?

W

wparsons

Reynolds, I use the 2400 and really like it. I also use Image Print with it and ma very pleased.

If you are using "thick media" you will find that this printer cuts off 3/4 inch from both ends (short side). This has brought to an end my use of Ilford museum board media.

The printer is great, looks cheap, but works well.

Reynolds

Workshop Member
Thanks so much for the confirmation. Everything I read pointed me in that direction. Good to hear I am not heading into a printing nightmare!!

Many thanks!!

jlm

Workshop Member
needed to dump some dough to beat the taxman a bit. got an Epson 4880, because:
large ink tanks
roll feed possible
new inkset
high build quality
mostly will use gloss so no ink changes forseen; if so, will go with the imageprint Phat black option

decided that over the 3800 because of the build quality, large tanks and new inks

I have a pretty good 2400 i am looking to unload with 25 un-opened new carts. best to pick up in the NYC area, as packaging for shipping is doubtful

Maggie O

FWIW, I had an Epson 2200 that was an absolute nightmare. It never worked right, broke down often and after putting over $1000 in repairs (and hundreds of miles to the authorized service center in Omaha) into it, I swore I'd never buy another Epson product again.

It made the M8 look like an M4.

M

Mitch Alland

FWIW, I had an Epson 2200 that was an absolute nightmare. It never worked right, broke down often and after putting over $1000 in repairs (and hundreds of miles to the authorized service center in Omaha) into it, I swore I'd never buy another Epson product again...
Maggie, I don't know about the 2200, but, based on my experience, it shouldn't set you against Epson products: I've had the 1290, 7600 and, now, the 9800 and they all have been excellent. Also keep in mind that the "professional" series of printers (the x8xx series), unlike the "consumer printers" like the 2200 and 2400, are built to much closer tolerances and are sturdier.

—Mitch/Bangkok
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10268776@N00/

Maggie O

Funny, back in 2002, the 2200 was supposed to be a pro product. Back in 2002 LL called it the best printer around.

Anyways, I got a Canon PIXMA Pro9000 for Christmas.

M

Mitch Alland

Nah, Maggie, calling the 2200 a professional product was just marketing hyperbole. It was clear that the Epson large format printers (the x6xx and now the x8xx series) were built to much tighter specifications than the 2200 and 2400: I use the ImapePrint RIP, which has canned excellent canned paper profiles that have always worked consistently well on the large format printers as opposed to the 2200/2400 because of the tighter specs on the former.

As for LL, ever since MR raved about the Epson 1270 and, then again, about the 1280 as producing "absolutely neutral B&W straight out of the box" I take what he says with a huge grain of salt, for both of these printers had obvious colour casts in B&W. With the 1280 it was impossible to get consistent B&W without a cast unless one used all black and gray inks, like that of the Piezography system, which is what I ended up using but found the tone too warm. Actually, I don't even waste a grain of salt on MR because I don't trust the guy's eyes, neither on colour nor on image quality. As you can see LL it not my favourite site. Gimme Sean Reid's reviews any day!

—Mitch/Bangkok

Last edited:

Maggie O

I'm hoping that my experience with the Canon will be better.

Obviously, I got suckered with the 2200 and Epson's customer service was painfully reminiscent of Walt's experiences with Leica.

M

Mitch Alland

Yeah, I believe it Maggie. Luckily I haven't had to deal with Epson service. Here in Bangkok I had to call the dealer for a problem I thought I was having with the cutting mechanism, which I couldn't get to cut the end of a paper roll to get a straight edge. The technician came over an hour later, only to tell me that I had been pressing the wrong button! But the damage wasn't too bad as I had to pay only $30 for the visit.

—Mitch/Bangkok

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Maggie I too had a bad experience with the 2200. I replaced it with a Canon ipf5000. It had a few issues but all in all it is a good printer. I'm going to purchase a ipf6100 next month. I have had very good customer service with Canon.

S

Steve

Hello all. just wanted to add what some others have said. I have 4800, 9800, and previously 9600, and many others. In 6 years I have had only one problem, one of the carts would not pressure up, called epson, they flew a technician up from dallas the next day and repaired it. I believe the pro series printers have a 24 hr turnaround for repairs in their warranty. Excellent service is all I can say. I do use a canon 9900 for quick 4x6 prints and it has been wonderful also. YMMV. Have a great new year, Steve

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Chiming a bit late, but I think you made a good choice Reynolds! The 2400 is an excellent printer. The only real downside as I see it is relative to the 3800 the 2400 ink is expensive. (If you factor in the cost of a full set of cartridges, the 3800 and 2400 run out at about the same net purchase price.) BUT if you don't print a lot, the advantage is you are buying ink in smaller quantities as needed. The 2400 also has a smaller footprint and will accept roll papers.

etrigan63

I myself am thinking of stepping up to the 3800 from my R800. I print glossy mostly as well, so I don't foresee the tank switching issue. Should I purchase this printer online or from a local rep?

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
I just pulled the trigger on an Epson 3800 that arrived yesterday. I'm a total neophyte with regard to using Epson (having used a few Canon printers previously). So, I might have a few questions that I'll have to fire Jack's way in the coming weeks. I'm excited about being able to jump from the 13" to 17" width ... along with the bigger ink tanks.

I was going to purchase a 2400, but ended up finding a refurbished 3800 at the Epson online store for $995. When I put it in the cart, it further discounted it $100 to $895. That's an excellent price. The printer that arrived looked like it was as close to new as you could get with all of the paperwork, software and full set of inks. We'll see how it works out.

Kurt

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Kurt:

GREAT buy! Epson re-furbs are a real sweet deal. You'll love the 3800. I get amazing color and B&W output using my COLOR profile for both! (Of course, you need a good profile for that to work.) My favorite paper hands down is Harmon Gloss FB Al. Other papers that work especially well, Epson Premium Luster and even Premium Glossy is decent. For art papers and Mat Black (Mk) ink, I prefer Epson Ultra-smooth FIne Art or Hanemuhle Photo Rag.

Cheers,

robsteve

Subscriber
Jack:

With the 3800, what is the largest cut paper you can buy for it? It would be nice to be able to print full frame 16x24 or what ever the full M8 frame is on a 17" paper.

If you print panoramics with roll paper, is there a limit to how long the print can be?

Robert