The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G1 shots

Arne Hvaring

Received my G1 a few days ago. I'm impressed with the small and feature-filled body. Less so with the kit-lens (and I'm on my second copy). Viewfinder very good, but flickers a bit. Manual focusing quite easy even with slow kit lens, Leica-M lenses should be a breeze. Colour seems well managed, noise about as expected.
FWIW here are some initial images.

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Arne, You need a lot of light for the finder to work well. There is an option to switch the finder noise on and off. Check if you have yours enabled or disabled.

What happened to the kit zoom #1??

scho

Very nice shots Arne. What don't you like about the kit lens? My copy has performed very well with no major faults that I could find.

Arne Hvaring

Arne, You need a lot of light for the finder to work well. There is an option to switch the finder noise on and off. Check if you have yours enabled or disabled.

What happened to the kit zoom #1??
Hi Vivek, I've found the option to automatically adjust the brightness of the finder according to the adjacent light, but nothing specifically for noise. Not that a bit of noise in low light bothers me much, the finder is quite good in this respect I think. It's the flickering that irritates me a little, but then I'm rather sensitive to that kind of disturbance. ( I always see rainbow effects on DLP projectors)

Kit zoom #1? Well, my dealer got two G1s, so I had the luxury to test and choose :). Not a big difference though, they are both soft near the edges at distance.
Btw. I made some experimental shots with the Canon 0.95. Now that will be an interesting (if somewhat ludicrous looking!) combo.

Arne Hvaring

Very nice shots Arne. What don't you like about the kit lens? My copy has performed very well with no major faults that I could find.
Thank you. I've looked carefully at your shots and they are excellent right out to the edges, even corners. The difference from what I'm getting is really astonishing and hard to explain unless there are huge sample variations with this lens. I should mention though that closeups and medium range shots fare somewhat better than those at (or near) infinity. So hold on to that lens of yours!:)

jonoslack

Oh Bollocks
Lovely pictures Arne, I don't have any illusions about cameras and photographers, but if you're enjoying it, it's another nail in the coffin of my resistance!

I'm afraid the last straw will be skiing at Christmas . . . it seems like the perfect option.

fordfanjpn

Oh Bollocks
Lovely pictures Arne, I don't have any illusions about cameras and photographers, but if you're enjoying it, it's another nail in the coffin of my resistance!

I'm afraid the last straw will be skiing at Christmas . . . it seems like the perfect option.
Just wait until the adapter comes out and we all start posting shots taken with the G1 and M glass. That'll be the end for you. In fact, you might as well go and get your G1 right now! :D

Bill

V

Vivek

Arne, I am insensitive to the flickering, I guess. The Canon 50/0.95 does well on the G1 indeed.:)

About the camera, I agree with Jono. No, this camera does not do any "wonders" just as any other camera out there. :)

jonoslack

Arne, I am insensitive to the flickering, I guess. The Canon 50/0.95 does well on the G1 indeed.:)

About the camera, I agree with Jono. No, this camera does not do any "wonders" just as any other camera out there. :)
I'm still waiting for the camera that makes me take good pictures!:ROTFL:

I'm not really impressed by reviews - I can understand why people like dpreview spend 36 pages telling you that a camera takes good pictures of a bottle of cinzano and a teddy bear . . . but it never seems very relevant.

So - experience by people here is much more persuasive.

jonoslack

Just wait until the adapter comes out and we all start posting shots taken with the G1 and M glass. That'll be the end for you. In fact, you might as well go and get your G1 right now! :D

Bill
Hi Bill
Well, it might be . . . but then if I'm going to use M glass wouldn't I be better sticking it on an M camera?:rolleyes:

V

Vivek

Jono, I don't look at any online reviews to buy a camera (or anything for that matter).

This is an exciting camera for me with lots of potential. I have way too many lenses to be used on it (or a M4/3rd body). Special application gear. That is all.

V

Vivek

Bill, There is a Vivitar auto focus zoom out there that will autofocus with an M body!:D

Well, it will autofocus even without a camera. Now, what can the G1 kit zoom do on its own?;):)

Arne Hvaring

I think the most important aspect of this camera is that it is a new concept that points to the future: The mirror-less exchangable-lens high resolution EVF system camera. (Now, who will come up with an acronym for that:eek:)

Secondly it's a lens omnivore. There are (almost) no inherent limitations to adapting practically any lens to the body. And they can be manually focused with high precision.

Thirdly, it is small, light and quiet and has a very useful swivelling rear LCD. Another unusual feature is the DOF preview which maintains the brightness in the viewfinder when stopping down the lens.

It is (relatively) inexpensive.

On the whole, the G1 is pretty impressive for a first generation design, and subjectively, after some adaptation, it's quite fun to use.

And Jono, I think resistance is useless :):D

V

Vivek

Good summary, Arne.

I look at this (G1) as a sophisticated (micro) digital back.

Martin S

Arne

How difficult is it to use the G1 with 4/3 lens?? Easy to focus,stop down metering???

Please advise. Thinking about getting the adapter!

Martin

fordfanjpn

FWIW, I just pre-ordered my adapter from Rayqual. They're saying it will ship around the end of December. The price in Japan is 14,700 yen (about $158). Looking forward to sticking some M glass on my G1. :)

Bill

jonoslack

Arne

How difficult is it to use the G1 with 4/3 lens?? Easy to focus,stop down metering???

Please advise. Thinking about getting the adapter!

Martin
Martin
Some of them will work properly - auto focus etc. others not quite so good - however, I think they will all work with the aperture automatically.

jonoslack

On the whole, the G1 is pretty impressive for a first generation design, and subjectively, after some adaptation, it's quite fun to use.

And Jono, I think resistance is useless :):D
Damn already!
I'm going to get one when I get back from Holland.
as for the Acronym, the one they've been using in the 4/3 forums is:
EVIL
Electronic viewfinder / interchangeable lenses

Seems good enough