The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Olympus OMD-v-Leica MM

V

Vivek

I think when one owns this many cameras that is (comparisons) all they can do. :D

Paratom

I think when one owns this many cameras that is (comparisons) all they can do. :D
Yes,
in my case the priority is as follows:

1) Chatting and Browsing in the Internet about gear
2) buying and selling gear; after buying gear main goal to find faults in the gear and goto 1);
3) comparing gear to find further weakness in the gear; then goto 1 or directly to 2)
10) Photography

V

Vivek

I heard somewhere that finding the weakness is one of the biggest strengths one can have. :)

Peter Klein

It may be a crazy comparison, but I have an M8, and I just bought an OM-D. They are completely different cameras. I think they complement each other.

A couple of months ago, a friend of mine and I did a photo walk with his OM-D and my M8. Even at the pixel-peeping level, the overall IQ differences were minor. Each has strengths and each has flaws. You know what? I like them both!

Skridlovian

I have to admit that I looked at this blog but didn't actually read it. This is partly because it seems like a pointless exercise designed only to fill a hole in cyberspace (can one still use the expression "cyberspace"?)

However the main reason I didn't read it was because of all the well-known photography pundits out there (out here?) Steve Huff's presentation style is the most abominable. What he needs to do is add lots more typefaces and type-styles - and perhaps vary the colour (color?) of the text more. The addition of lots more !!!s - "screamers" as we used to call them in the trade - plus perhaps a good sprinkling of emoticons would also pep things up for the benefit of attention-challenged readers.

V

Vivek

I have to admit that I looked at this blog but didn't actually read it. This is partly because it seems like a pointless exercise designed only to fill a hole in cyberspace (can one still use the expression "cyberspace"?)

However the main reason I didn't read it was because of all the well-known photography pundits out there (out here?) Steve Huff's presentation style is the most abominable. What he needs to do is add lots more typefaces and type-styles - and perhaps vary the colour (color?) of the text more. The addition of lots more !!!s - "screamers" as we used to call them in the trade - plus perhaps a good sprinkling of emoticons would also pep things up for the benefit of attention-challenged readers.
The blog title says it all. Why bother reading?

(Unless you have both the cameras and need validation for BOTH!)

Paratom

I agree with you guys - this thread here is so much more useful and full of information compared to the crazy comparison on Steves site. :clap:

biglouis

Someone once gave me a wise piece of advice - which I have never followed - which is that owning more than one camera system will eventually drive you nuts.

I own three currently but I am seriously thinking of selling all my kit and having just one.

LouisB

Paratom

Someone once gave me a wise piece of advice - which I have never followed - which is that owning more than one camera system will eventually drive you nuts.

I own three currently but I am seriously thinking of selling all my kit and having just one.

LouisB
Which one will be your choice?

jonoslack

LouisB
I'm in the process of doing that right now.

Peter Klein

Jono, what are you going to keep? I just bought an OM-D, but I'm not selling my M8. No way. An RF plus an "everything else" camera are nicely complementary.

jnewell

Yes,
in my case the priority is as follows:

1) Chatting and Browsing in the Internet about gear
2) buying and selling gear; after buying gear main goal to find faults in the gear and goto 1);
3) comparing gear to find further weakness in the gear; then goto 1 or directly to 2)
10) Photography
Why stress yourself? Cut out #10! :eek: :D

I heard somewhere that finding the weakness is one of the biggest strengths one can have. :)
It's certainly easier...but that's about all you can say about that? ;)

LouisB
Good advice...I was at four...now down to two...considering one...

D

d2mini

This is what's funny about the internet.
Someone decides to have some fun (yes, some people actually like to write for fun and take photos for fun, even if the result is not adding much to the greater good of the world). Then a whole bunch of people hiding behind keyboards who apparently have nothing better to do decide to waste more time by writing their thoughts which are just as pointless as the article they are complaining about.

Does anyone else see the irony here? :D

p.s. - Yes, I'm wasting away my lunch hour sitting behind a keyboard. :thumbup:

woodyspedden

LouisB
I am in the same process as we speak.

I have an S2 system (Leica) with four lenses which I am selling. I am too old for hiking the necessary requirements for landscape photography, especially with a heavy MFDB rig.

I have a Fuji X1 pro with 35 1.4 lens which I think has great possibilities but not before the raw files are supported in a major converter e.g. lightroom or Capture One pro. So it is now on the bloc as well.

I have a Leica M9P which I will keep and supplement with the Monochrome as well. When the new M is released i will get it and then sell the M9P. Along with a few of the best of the M lenses, this is the rig I will shoot. No more systems for me!

Invest in one, good, and versatile system; learn to shoot with it in all conditions, and stop buying the latest and greatest only to sell it later.

Mastery, not mystery

Woody

dhsimmonds

LouisB
Yep I agree with this and I am certainly trying!! My Fuji X1Pro outfit has gone together with my trusty old Panasonic LC1 (that was a big wrench but times and technolgy move on.) My Sony gear will be next and with a range of Sony Zeiss and Minolta lenses.

The OMD stays though as It is really enjoyable to use and gives me more than adequate IQ with a good mixture of Pana and Oly lenses.

My old back has never felt better!

Of course I could still be seduced by the new Leica M one day! :rolleyes:

jonoslack

Jono, what are you going to keep? I just bought an OM-D, but I'm not selling my M8. No way. An RF plus an "everything else" camera are nicely complementary.
I have a Leica M9P which I will keep and supplement with the Monochrome as well. When the new M is released i will get it and then sell the M9P. Along with a few of the best of the M lenses, this is the rig I will shoot. No more systems for me!
Yes, that's me too. My Sony alpha kit is on ebay as I type, but it's gonna be tough to clear out the m4/3 stuff , and I might just keep an OMD body with a couple of zooms. I really like it, but when I compare the results with the m9p . . . well. I will wait until the M appears, just to be certain, but i'm already fairly sure.

The excuse for having more than one system has always been because I couldn't do zooms or telephoto or macro on the M system, I don't want to do that stuff so often, but I do sometimes. . . AF I can live without easily. But now, with the new M it looks like I'll be able to do the macro and telephoto and zoom when I need to.

The trouble is that it's easy to decide on one system . . . and it's easy to sell the other stuff . . . . .but it's not so easy to resist buying the next greatest thing!

all the best

jonoslack

The OMD stays though as It is really enjoyable to use and gives me more than adequate IQ with a good mixture of Pana and Oly lenses.

My old back has never felt better!

Of course I could still be seduced by the new Leica M one day! :rolleyes:
. . :ROTFL: . . The OMD really is good isn't it :)

V

Vivek

The fact is that there are only a handful of people who own/use only a Leica. Most owners use other mirrorless cams. Some even make photos. :D

I would like to buy a Leica MM when it becomes available (not willing to wait in line). Perhaps, by that time, there will be a mirrorless monochrome camera. Even Leica have gone live view nowadays.

It's certainly easier...but that's about all you can say about that? ;)