The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

old Cambo Wide: SA 47mm 5.6 MC or 65mm? non XL

ocarlo

Gents,
Hoping for some urgent advice:
I'm now looking at the old Cambo Wide to shoot 4x5 as quickly as possible.
I'll be balancing ambient light with strobes, so I do need the 5.6 fstop..
I'm also hoping to shoot 6x12 or 6x9 backs as an option later.

Could more savvy folks tell me please: would the 65mm have enough coverage for both 4x5 and 6x12 on a old Cambo Wide? or do I need to go wider with the 47mm?

If it's in fact the case that I need a 47mm, does anyone have any pics to share? I'm wondering if it might be too ultra-wide, esp. since I'm shooting people scattered at different depths throughout the composition..So, if there was too much distortion of people in foreground, I'd rather ditch the 6x12 option

thanks in advance..

ocarlo

thanks Oren.
one thing I find hard to understand - why can't a 47mm not cover 4x5,
when its a wider lens than 65mm?

seems to suggest I should get 65mm and another lens to cover 4x5 and 6x12 separately..

Thomas Fallon

The angle of view has nothing to do with the image circle which is what you need to cover a frame of a certain size. I am told by a source I trust, Quality Camera, that a 47 Non XL will cover on a Cambo Wide. I do not know how much rise you could use though. Am I clear on your question that you are talking about a lens mounted for a Cambo Wide and you intend to use it on that camera?

ocarlo

Apologies Thomas, just saw this..
indeed, I meant for use on a old Cambo Wide.
Since then, I've bought online a Cambo Wide adapted for a 135mm lens.
Still waiting on it, but that lens apparently covers 4x5 to 6x12.
More important, it's not too wide - great since I aim to stitch 3 to 4 frames together anyway, plus I can use it for quick-shooting portraits.
don't need movements at all - w/c is why the old Deardorff is is storage.
thanks

The angle of view has nothing to do with the image circle which is what you need to cover a frame of a certain size. I am told by a source I trust, Quality Camera, that a 47 Non XL will cover on a Cambo Wide. I do not know how much rise you could use though. Am I clear on your question that you are talking about a lens mounted for a Cambo Wide and you intend to use it on that camera?

DDudenbostel

The non xl 47 will only cover 6x9 and has nothing to do with what body it's on. I have the xl which just covers 4x5. You might squeak out 5 mm of movement with the xl if you use a center filter. I find the xl has so much falloff that the center filter is essential. What will you be shooting. The 65 is a very good general purpose wide and the 47 is extreme.

ocarlo

still waiting on the Cambo Wide from urope - but I think this will do the trick with the 135mm lens..doing stitched panoramas with people in em..