The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panasonic G1 paint peels.

V

Vivek

This appears to be the most troublesome area. Cindy asked for a photo. It might be helpful for others as well.

I think, covering this area with a bit of tape might help (not sure though).

V

Vivek

Well, I will give a try, though from the looks of it, the paint would come off from elsewhere as well!

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Vivek, Thanks for showing us. This is terrible. I would send it back. I hope that we are not all going to be facing this.

Brian Mosley

jamriman, flimsy is a strange word to use for paint?

This is a real shame, the rubberised coating feels really nice - but if it's going to peel off that's not a good idea.

I'm glad I went with black now... presuming the plastic is black underneath - this could look horrible for the red/blue options.

Kind Regards

Brian

V

Vivek

While it is disappointing that the paint comes off so easily (like the Sigma 30/1.4 lens, there it is translucent white plastic!!), polycarbonate bodies are not flimsy at all. My Nikon D40x' which have seen very rough treatments (the G1 has had a very sheltered life and extreme light use, so far!!) still are holding together with no paint peeling.

BTW, the "cold-light" (not all that cold, they spew out tons of IR) shots I did yesterday as a test (http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4194),
proved how sound the camera is.:ROTFL::ROTFL:

The bottom-line is that as long as the camera works, I don't care. In fact the uglier the better for me! As is, most on the street don't take notice of this camera (I have to wipe that bright white LUMIX off and get rid of the gold L, G1 etc).

Yeah, Brian, Red or Blue would have been a bit more noticeable.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Vivek, Mine is black, too. I am ready to put gaffers tape over that edge, but I'm not sure if that would be more detrimental to the paint over the long run. Please keep us informed as to what happens to yours. Thank you for warning us.

jamriman

jamriman, flimsy is a strange word to use for paint?

This is a real shame, the rubberised coating feels really nice - but if it's going to peel off that's not a good idea.

I'm glad I went with black now... presuming the plastic is black underneath - this could look horrible for the red/blue options.

Kind Regards

Brian
I meant flimsy in terms of build quality. Sorry.

V

Vivek

No need to be sorry. I wouldn't mind if it self destructs after the 2 year warranty runs out. :D

No need to be sorry. I wouldn't mind if it self destructs after the 2 year warranty runs out. :D
Well, doesn´t look too good...

However, let´s face it: those of us who owns it knew that we bought the very first camera of an entirely new type, and that other and better ones will (hopefully) follow quite soon, making us all wish we had one of them instead of that quaint old G1...:rolleyes:

So, Vivek, I fear we´ll soon feel like you do about self-destruction; only, it won´t take us 2 years to get there!

Ours is an expensive hobby. Better face the facts...:angel:

jonoslack

Definitely not cool, but.
I've come across this before with that nice rubbery paint - on a psion organiser, where it sometimes came off, and on the controls of cars - where they replaced it when it came off (not the car, the buttons). I didn't keep the car long enough to find out if it came off again.

I wonder whether in fact Vivek has faulty paint - certainly worth sending an email with the picture.

Vivek - it couldn't have snagged on a zip on your coat could it?

V

Vivek

Jono, Absolutely, not. It is the swivel LCD screen rubbing against the body during normal (I must emphasize the gentle) use. I do use the swivel screen almost always (500 odd shots thusfar?).

N

nei1

Vivek,Im not sure where you are but Im 100percent sure that this is covered by the guarantee.

V

Vivek

Ours is an expensive hobby. Better face the facts...:angel:

Per, Good point but the M4/3rd route is a bit less expensive than some other systems! ;) Also, the hobby, practice/use, whatever, isn't a bad one spend money on.

I anticipate that I would be into the M4/3rds system (regardless of this first flimsy camera) for a while. To me, this is an inexpensive digital back with many sophisticated features.

V

Vivek

Vivek,Im not sure where you are but Im 100percent sure that this is covered by the guarantee.
I am in the Netherlands, Neil. This kit was bought in Munich and comes with a 2 year European warranty. I will check with Panasonic and will report any outcome here.

jonoslack

Jono, Absolutely, not. It is the swivel LCD screen rubbing against the body during normal (I must emphasize the gentle) use. I do use the swivel screen almost always (500 odd shots thusfar?).
Hi Vivek
I can't get my swivel LCD to rub against the body there?! I'm sure it's possible, but I've been trying every which way, and it doesn't . . . so maybe that's where the fault lies (or, of course, I'm a fool!).

Arne Hvaring

Hi Vivek
I can't get my swivel LCD to rub against the body there?! I'm sure it's possible, but I've been trying every which way, and it doesn't . . . so maybe that's where the fault lies (or, of course, I'm a fool!).
Hi Jono and Vivek,
I've been looking into this too, and the closest I can get the LCD to the body at this point is about 1mm no matter how I twist it. Are we seeing sample variations here too? And I thought it was bad enough with the lenses:confused:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I had a problem with rubbery paint on a Nikon N90 once several years ago.
Nikon repaired it and it never happened again.
I my case it was a primer issue on the bare plastic. This looks very similiar to the issue I had.
-bob