The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

All Bokeh, All the Time

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
About a half hour ago I got an email from Alien Skin advertising their "Bokeh" filter. I downloaded the demo and made a very, very quick test with it. The presets allow you to mimic different strengths of blur/bokeh that imitate known lenses. My sample imitates a Canon 85 f1.2 @ f2. I'm not sure how valuable this would be beyond what can simply be done with the existing blur tools in PS, but then I haven't spent more than 10 minutes with it either. I intend to play some more (and maybe even read the instructions!). It might be worth a look.

Normal image on the left, filtered on the right. M8 with 28 cron.

N

nei1

Bark more wag less ;):lecture:This is worse than the grain effects.

A

asabet

I think the idea of reproducing the type of bokeh found with specific lenses is an interesting one. However, this product cannot apply the effect in a depth specific manner nor can it help with the selection masking, so I'm not too excited about it.

When cameras with more than one lens can output distance information to this sort of software, we'll truly be able to select DOF after the capture. It can't be far off!

helenhill

very Funny Tim..."I might even read the instructions :)

Oh God will there be anything left for the photographer to do besides eternal PP....:)

the Concept is kinda Fun
BUT to me the real fun
is actually doing it
experimenting w/lenses,f stops,shutter speeds etc
than fiddling with some software to look like it

Interesting Topic though...thanx for posting
Best-h

** LIKED YOUR PHOTO BETTER :thumbup: TIM**

Don Libby

Couldn’t you have achieved the same result with playing in the filters specifically blur along with masking.

don

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Nellie: What grain effects?

Yeah ok, not the most earth shattering thing. Blur and masking gets close to the same results and it's not something I'd use a lot. I can only blame the lousy coffee and late start to the morning for clouding my judgement. However, it is cheaper than a lensbaby. And while all that ain't YOUR all that, it does appeal to some.

A

asabet

It is an interesting product. Sort of like onOne's Focal Point software, except that this one emulates the bokeh of specific lenses. If only selections were easier to make, it could be a popular product.

V

Vivek

Tim, Thanks for your post. It is good to be aware of new developments.

I am still stuck to the fast glass, "special signature", etc.. but it is good to know the alternate possibilities.:)

charlesphoto

Ugh, that looks awful. A bit like smearing vaseline on a filter. Problem is that the main subject is still to sharp for an 85 f/1.2 (even at 2). Best to just shoot it with a wide open lens in the first place.

I'm sure it'll float the boat of some though....

kevin

The "bokeh" effect is almost as convincing as Silver Efex Pro is at imitating Tri-X. Which is to say, of course, not very convincing at all. After trying Silver Efex, I bought a brick of Ilford film and a developing tank, now I see I'll have to buy another copy of the 85/1.2. :D