The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Michael Reichmann likes the A900 as well

jonoslack

Hi There
Luminous Landscape A900 Review

Dynamic Range
This, together with resolution, is an area where the A900's sensor sings. I have rarely seen such wide dynamic range from any camera, including some medium format backs. On my shoot in Arizona I was able to capture scenes with brilliantly illuminated clouds along with deep shadows, and hold detail in both places. When combined with the sensor's high resolution, for landscape work its hard to think of another camera currently available that is a more suitable tool, and at under $3,000 this level of performance is unparalleled. Just a few years ago it took a medium format back costing $30,000 to generate comparable images. And while today's MF backs still have an edge, the price differential is significant.
It's an interesting review, but in the end, what shines through (Contax comparisons etc.) is that he likes it . . . . It's good to shoot with a camera that one likes!

Quentin_Bargate

Hi Jono,

I used Contax cameras for around 20 years - a 139 quartz, 137 MA, RX, AX (that wonderful camera which moved the focal plane to achieve autofocus with non AF lenses), never an RTS unfortunately, but it was the Zeiss optics and the design purity of the cameras (Porsche design) that intrigued. I bought a book specifically written just about the Zeiss 35mm Contax optics. I even hunted down a German made 25mm lens in a shop in Tottenham Court road in the (probably mistaken) belief it was superior to a more recent Japanese made one. I then largely left 35mm for larger formats, save a foray in to a Nikon F100 and a very early copy of the 28-70mm F2.8.

Reichmann sees the same connection I do between Sony/Zeiss and Contax/Zeiss. It could be Sony's trump card. It is certainly a reason why I am buying an A900 and 28-70mm - plus the insane, loyalty challenging pricing of the D3x that seems to be pulling a rug from under Nikon right now at what should have been their moment of triumph..

Quentin

fotografz

This a very similar reaction that both Irakly and I had concerning the A900 ... in hand it is more reminiscent of a Contax camera than any other 35mm. We both shot with Contax gear for many years ... primarily due to the optics ... but the cameras were nice to use.

If I had zoomed forward from 1999 in a time machine, and this camera had a Contax logo on the pentaprism, I would have believed it.

jonoslack

This a very similar reaction that both Irakly and I had concerning the A900 ... in hand it is more reminiscent of a Contax camera than any other 35mm. We both shot with Contax gear for many years ... primarily due to the optics ... but the cameras were nice to use.

If I had zoomed forward from 1999 in a time machine, and this camera had a Contax logo on the pentaprism, I would have believed it.
HI Marc
I hadn't even thought of it, but I also shot with Contax 35mm cameras, from the 139 to the RX with the RTS and RTSII in between. it really is similar.