The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

is the 18-55 better than the 18?

hsteeves

I have the 18mm Fuji lens but have never been happy with the sharpness at the edges - even sent back the first copy. I was wondering if the zoom had better edge sharpness?

Braeside

In my opinion it is a superb lens, a cut above a normal 'kit lens'. OIS, sharp wide open, really excellent. Well put together, comes with hood and caps and pouch. Of course it is the only zoom for the X mount at this time.

Braeside

The problem with the 18mm is that it has distortion at the edges and Fuji correct that in software, hence the slight smearing. The zoom seems better corrected optically.

Incidentally I just got a copy of the 14mm Fujinon, now that is a wonderful lens optically, sharp in the corners, low distortion.

hsteeves

size/lens speed versus sharpness/convenience ... its an old issue. Now, I'm thinking of getting the XE-1 kit as the pricing seems quite good.