The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A900 - snap and dynamic range

jonoslack

Hi There
Just a bit of fun really.

These were all taken in late afternoon sun, very contrasty. I've used 'daylight' to keep the golden tones . . . and then had a little fun using Viveza from Aperture.

This first one of the house does show how much dynamic range there is in these shots - it was a very contrasty shot, and the shadow really was deep shadow:
Taken with 24-70 Zeiss

I'm always a sucker for a 'lone tree' This one had the sun right behind the trunk, but there is still some detail in the grass in the foreground.

My favorite water hydrant - it's in the middle of nowhere, but it has a very special yellow, and with the glancing evening light

Just a nail in a rusty wall

This one is for Irakly's benefit (if he should see it)

A

asabet

I think Irakly would appreciate the last three, at least :).

I like all of them, but I don't so much like the processing on the first one. It has that "somebody just tonemapped me" look.

jonoslack

I think Irakly would appreciate the last three, at least :).

I like all of them, but I don't so much like the processing on the first one. It has that "somebody just tonemapped me" look.
Hi Amin
The first one really was a bit of fun - I was seeing how much of the detail from the very contrasty original I could easily bring out and zap up.

I don't much like tonemapping . . . actually, I'm not keen on HDR either, This is how I would normally have processed it, and it catches the reality of the light much better

Robert Campbell

The second one looks a lot better, more 'natural'

BTW, you seem to have black dots on the roof -- is the 5DII disease smitting?:D

Stuart Richardson

I like the photos Jono! They did make me think though, how funny dynamic range can be -- it is great to have, but I usually find myself throwing half of it out. I like the look of slides and when I print in the darkroom, it is generally between grade 3 and 4. So while it is great to have, if you use ALL of it, it can look unnatural. The last one is a demonstration of how to achieve a natural look that still maintains a long tonal range. I think there is something in the scanning nature of the eye that makes a picture look more natural if it has more contrast, even if that contrast is not necessarily in the original scene.

jonoslack

Hi Robert
Thanks - I think the black tiles are as a result of a gale in the 70's, when they couldn't get enough red ones to replace the lost ones. We've kept up the tradition (I rather like it).

Stuart
I quite agree - What I really dislike are those HDR images one sees so much of these days. I also agree that contrast is often a good thing, the real benefit of a good dynamic range is that you can 'pick your spot' over a large range.

On the other hand, I'm intrigued by responses to images where one has bumped up the range and colour, people will nearly always SAY that they like the more correct / modest version if asked . . . . but it's the flashy ones which grab the attention (and sell).