The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

5D Mark II profile images for Noise Ninja

bradhusick

Here are the images you can load into Noise Ninja to create a profile for Canon 5D Mark II RAW images. I can't upload a finished profile, but there are a couple simple steps to have the profile done inside NN. You only have to do this once:

After you have saved all these profiles, do the following to setup automatic profile loading:
Go to the Noise Ninja menu and select Preferences.
On the profiles tab set the Profile policy to "Auto-load profile based on EXIF."
Set the Fallback policy to "Invoke automatic profiler."
Click OK to save your preferences, they will take effect next time you start the plug-in.

These are designed for RAW images. JPEGs will require a different set of profile images.

Last edited:

bradhusick

Here is an example at 100% pixel crop. The image is an ISO 6400, RAW taken at f/4, 1/10 sec., 105mm focal length in weak incandescent light, obviously of black items.

The first crop is straight from the camera, the second applying Noise Ninja with the profile and bumping up the chroma noise reduction a little.

The third is the full frame to give you a sense of the crop. Look for the Tenba bag tag in the upper left.

I have to say it's kind of subtle since the camera does a pretty good job at ISO 6400.

Last edited:

cjlacz

*shakes head* I can't figure out how to tell the difference. Or maybe I should say, I see a difference, but I'm not sure where the difference comes from or which is better. I have to study some more.

robertwright

it almost looks like a very light case of colour moire. which you could expect on that kind of fabric.

any way you slice it (or denoise it) it is crazy good.

I hereby predict a future where all lenses are fixed at f16, have IS, imagers go to 12,800ISO and 25,600ISO with almost no noise, and you can shoot in a dark nightclub at 1/60th and it is tack sharp front to back and down to the olives in the martini glasses. Everything else is software, bokeh, dof, etc. Want a soft background--flick a switch. want a little motion blur, you have to add that in post sir!
:D

mazor

it almost looks like a very light case of colour moire. which you could expect on that kind of fabric.

I hereby predict a future where all lenses are fixed at f16, have IS, imagers go to 12,800ISO and 25,600ISO with almost no noise, and you can shoot in a dark nightclub at 1/60th and it is tack sharp front to back and down to the olives in the martini glasses. Everything else is software, bokeh, dof, etc. Want a soft background--flick a switch. want a little motion blur, you have to add that in post sir!
haha interesting, rather than using F16 glass, why no just make the sensor smaller. Small sensors in point and shoots DOF is very wide. Also with high technology small sensors can appreciate this low noise at high ISOs as well, and with high technology get high micro resolution optics in smaller packages.

MAzor

A

AnthonyR

Interesting. Do any of you all have a preference of Dfine over Noise Ninja?

I think it's interesting to note that the image was shot wide open and at the max zoom (f4 and 105mm)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Interesting. Do any of you all have a preference of Dfine over Noise Ninja?
I prefer the UI and output from DFine, but they are both good. Really easy to download the free demos from both (and include Neat Image while you're at it) and decide for yourself which you prefer.

mark1958

Guy i agree with you and this was finding as well with the fruit bowl example that was posted in another thread. I spent a couple of hours trying different noise reduction settings in manual and auto and the color noise was better with DFINE but as Jack says they are both good and i suspect even reasonably sized prints unlikely to make a huge difference.

The Dfine looks a little better on the color luminance

dougpeterson

Workshop Member

Beat you to it: http://www.doug-peterson.com/wordpress/2008/04/the-virtual-future-of-still-images/

robertwright