The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Australia - end of June for a week or so

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Looks like I'm going to be in Sydney for 3-4 weeks in June. Not my first time in Australia but it will be the first time at this time of year.

Any suggestions for great locations to visit for a week at the end of June / beginning of July? I'm predominately a landscape shooter but open to any interesting opportunities.

Travel not a problem and so no need to be limited to the Sydney area.

I've done the typical Alice Springs / Uluru etc. However, I've not been there at this time of year. How about the northern territory or WA?

It's a shame this couldn't have come up a bit earlier to coincide with fall/autumn. Oh well.

Any suggestions welcome.

GrahamWelland

The Kimberley looks interesting. That might well be worth a visit for a few days. Time to do some research I think.

Lars

NT has Purnuluru and Devil's Marbles. However the driving time from Sydney is massive - several days. So obviously air travel would be required.

In general, winter is a great time to visit the interior since it's not so darn hot. When I crossed the Simpson Desert the entire desert was in full bloom - but that doesn't happen every year, and a week just isn't enough - and you'd need an offroad vehicle fully equipped for desert survival.

There's always the northeast coast. I would consider just driving up the coast, possibly exploring Whitsundays and Frasier Island. Fly back to Sydney from Cairns, perhaps.

PeterA

The Kimberley looks interesting. That might well be worth a visit for a few days. Time to do some research I think.
Follow the PODAS links to their Kimberley trip in April 2013 and you will get to the best way to choose an very nice way to see the Kimberleys. If you want something different to that and can handle the cold- check out Tasmania for beautiful landscape opportunities in a different kind of wilderness setting.

All the best
Pete

GrahamWelland

another question (that I suspect I know the answer to) should I take my G617 or XPAN with 45/90 along with my IQ160/P25+ and Alpa? Or should I just take my full DF and glass outfit?

Thoughts? slap on the face? etc etc?

Just curious about people's recommendations. Seriously. I listen.

GrahamWelland

Btw, I freaking love my XPan II. It's almost like meeting up with the ex-wife the second time around. Hmm, that could be dodgy as an anology (although I've been there so hence the dodgy comment).

3rd time with an XPan btw. I really should learn. I won't embarrass myself by saying how many Leicas I've had. :eek:

stephengilbert

"Should I take my G617 or XPAN with 45/90 along with my IQ160/P25+ and Alpa? Or should I just take my full DF and glass outfit?"

Yes. Definitely.

Shashin

Australia is a scary place. Of the ten most dangerous animals in the world, Australia has twelve of them.

thrice

In my 15 years in Australia I've seen 2 snakes, and been in the bush many times. Our office manager lives in a rural area and says she sees dozens every year, many deadly.
I've never seen a funnel web spider.
That said, I've seen way more than my fair share of redbacks, huntsmans and golden orb weavers - the latter two being totally harmless but scary.
Saw more sharks in New Zealand than I have here.

Graham if you're anywhere near Melbourne or Adelaide you should visit the Otways National park, epic coastline, lots of rainforest/waterfalls etc.

Lars

Only snake I saw during my 12 months in the outback was in the claws of an eagle flying away. Kinda cool. Of course I didn't have a camera at hand.

Think about shooting style - can you handle multiple formats well or are you like me, preferring to focus on one format at a time?

Shashin

another question (that I suspect I know the answer to) should I take my G617 or XPAN with 45/90 along with my IQ160/P25+ and Alpa? Or should I just take my full DF and glass outfit?

Thoughts? slap on the face? etc etc?

Just curious about people's recommendations. Seriously. I listen.
Sell everything and get a Seitz 617. You know you want one.

GrahamWelland

Btw, I decided that the Alpa, Fuji X-Pro1 & X100s and my Xpan II and some bricks of film are coming with me.

To Lars' point, I do tend to shoot a particular format at a time, including *** shock *** film (albeit only big or pano). Right now I'm really enjoying the xpan & b&w. it's my third xpan (I should learn not to sell!) and I realize that I still love using it. I don't love scanning but I do like shooting and the images on the light table.